Thirty Four

"Uwah, I can't believe it! You got 4th place! That's amazing!" multiple gasps of surprise erupted around the hallway upon seeing the posted ranking of the students of a certain class; 2-A. Even a certain pale woman was unable to close her mouth due to her surprise.

"Who knew you were this smart, Dahyunie!" Yeji exclaimed in excitement for the other one.

"Right!? How come we never knew about this?" Lia added to the countless amounts of recognition the monolid-eyed girl was receiving.

"You're literally the coolest one of us now." Chaeryeong giggled in adoration towards the other.

"Come on, don't say that." Dahyun lowly mumbled with her ears turning red in embarrassment. She was most likely not used to receiving this much attention, after all, she'd been living a quiet life all her days in high school, so now that she's surprisingly included in the list of the students who got the highest scores, it was inevitable that people would recognize her for it.

"So, did it work?" Ryujin was the one to bring it up that made most smiles around Dahyun fade into a frown.

"Ryujin," Yeji warned with a threatening tone but it was already too late, Dahyun already heard her.

"I don't think so." The other replied as she subconsciously turned her head to the other side of the hallway; taking sight of the long-lost woman Dahyun hasn't talked to since months ago.

Ryujin released a sigh, suddenly feeling guilty for bringing it up; knowing that the reason why Dahyun tried her best to get the highest scores and get recognized for it was because she thought she'd like it.

Dahyun thought she liked women that way; smart, hardworking, with multiple achievements, and everything Tzuyu is.

But looking at it now, it seems like Sana is still unfazed, uncaring, and even though Dahyun gave her blood, sweat, and tears for this, it seems like it wasn't enough.

She hasn't even gotten the answer as to why Sana suddenly started to avoid her. It's not like she did something wrong or... did she?

"Come on, maybe she hadn't seen the results yet. Give her some time." Lia lowly muttered in an attempt to cheer the pale lady up but none of it seemed to work.

"I don't know anymore, unnie. Maybe we should just leave and have some coffee at the coffee shop across the street." Dahyun nonchalantly announced with her eyes on the floor, unable to hide her disappointment after her so-called "plan" failed her.

All she ever wanted was for Sana to at least look at her.

"You're right, let's go." Yuna hurriedly grabbed Dahyun by the hand and walked as quickly as she could, just so they could leave the place as soon as possible.

Nobody else said a word, even when they walked across the said woman, Sana - whom, Dahyun has yearned for very dearly.

Nobody else planned to say anything about it, after all if it's just going to break the other's heart, what's the point?

"Kim Dahyun!"

Those words alone made the younger freeze.

No one else was able to say another word, careful not to ruin the already worse moment. Hence, the deafening silence that suddenly erupted from the then loud hallway.

"Uh,.." the older trailed off as her eyes finally landed on the pale lady who can't even seem to peel her gaze off of the floor.

"Congratulations on your, uh... achievements-"

"Why?" the moment those words left the younger's mouth, all there was to do was for the others to leave, muttering a low: "Are you sure you're okay?" to the other which she only responded to with a nod.