Chapter 148: Separating the Household

“Who’s crying?” Xiang Qing asked.

I shook my head to express that I didn’t know anything.

He frowned. He took the oil lamp and walked in the direction of the pigpen.

I quickly confessed, “Today, Yin Zi and I brought back a girl who had fainted on the side of a road. We said she could stay here tonight. Tomorrow morning, she will leave. She absolutely won’t cause any trouble for anyone.”

Xiang Qing’s footsteps didn’t stop. Xiao Mao had also followed him out of curiosity. And so, the three people walked to the pigpen to look.

Xiao Cha suddenly realized there were people coming. She jumped up. She shrunk into a ball and picked up a nearby stick.

Trembling, she asked, “Who… who’s there?”

Xiang Qing put down the oil lamp. He didn’t walk closer.

Instead, from a distance, he said, “Are you the girl that Miao Miao brought home today? Why did you faint by the roadside?”

Xiao Cha looked at me for a moment and calmed down. She quickly walked closer to us and repeated the words she had said to Yin Zi and me. Then, she miserably said that she was homeless and requested that we temporarily let her stay here.

I quickly pulled on Xiang Qing’s clothes and whispered, “Yin Zi said she’s a person of unknown origins. It would be best to not keep her and we don’t have a place for her to stay.”

“She doesn’t seem like a bad person.” Xiang Qing was somewhat hesitant and said, “Also, why does she look similar to you? Could she be your sister? But she doesn’t have a demon’s aura.”

“I don’t have any sisters.” I quickly denied any relations with this girl, but when I looked at Xiao Cha’s appearance, my heart softened a bit. And so, I asked Xiang Qing, “What do you think we should do?”

By our side, Xiao Mao licked his lips and nefariously interrupted, “Dress her with sauce and eat her.”

“You’re not allowed to cause trouble.” Xiang Qing firmly knocked Xiao Mao’s head. Then, he asked Xiao Cha where her relatives or parents lived. But, she replied that she wasn’t sure for either.

He pulled Xiao Mao and me outside to discuss. He said we couldn’t send her to Mao Mountain. This girl looked like she didn’t have any money. Shifu has been troubled and vexed over the numerous buildings that were damaged. He definitely won’t be willing to offer her shelter. We don’t have any empty rooms here. She doesn’t look like she knows how to do any farm work, so we would just be feeding her for free. But if we drive her out, with her limited knowledge of the world and skills, within a few days, she would either be killed or sold off somewhere by bandits.

It wouldn’t be kind to send someone off to die. After discussing back and forth, Xiang Qing decided that he would bring us to buy a house soon. For now, we would clean up the room used to store firewood so that Xiao Cha would have a place to stay. We would wait until after Mu Yun Lan and Seventh Senior Brother’s wedding to ask if their residence needed any servant girls. Then send Xiao Cha over and be done with this.

After Xiang Qing decided, I immediately went to support his decision with both hands and feet and without any additional words.

Xiao Mao said some veiled words of criticism. He thought this person’s origins were too strange.

After I thought about this again, even if there would be future problems and she was strange, she was still an ordinary mortal. Even if she dared to cause trouble, I could secretly give her to a tiger to eat after chopping her up. It would be okay, as long Xiang Qing didn’t see.