wait in the truck

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------So this is my first-ever songfic(Sorry if it's bad in advance) and I decided to set it to my favorite country song, "wait in the truck" by HARDY and Lainey Wilson. Hope you guys enjoy!!!!! <3<3 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------""I got turned around in some little town I'd never been through before, working my through a middle of June midnight thunderstorm."

As 23-year-old Griffin Campbell drove through the streets of Sulphur Springs, Louisiana, in his hand-me-down Ford F150 dark-black pickup truck that once belonged to his dad during a particularly bad midnight thunderstorm, he mentally cursed himself for staying at that bar back in New Orleans longer than he should've. See, the Fourth of July was next week and his parents, Ben and Sarah Campbell, had called him and his twin siblings, Wyatt and Zoey, to help them set up and decorate The Tremont hotel for the special day. Unfortunately, when Sarah had called Griffin, he was in the middle of a heavy drinking game with some of his college buddies and was hungover beyond belief when he got the call three nights earlier. He only got fully sobered up and left his apartment today at like 4pm and had just drove into his old hometown about 12 minutes ago and was starting to feel very drowsy. So, to help him stay awake, he turned on his radio and flicked it to a country station.

"There was something in the headlights that stopped me on a dime. She was scared to death, so I said "climb in" and in she climbed, oooh yeah."

Suddenly, as Griffin turned on to the road that would lead him towards The Tremont, he saw something in his headlights. However, the windshield wipers were busted so he couldn't exactly tell what it was that he was seeing so he opened up his door and got out and came face-to-face with someone he'd never thought he'd see again since he left Sulphur Springs. His crush. His first love. His best friend. His......ex-girlfriend, Harper Dunn. Griffin couldn't believe it. "H-Harper, is that you?" asked Griffin, worried it wasn't her and he was just still a bit hungover and hallucinating. But he was proven right when she turned around and locked eyes with Griffin for the first time in almost five years following their breakup. And Griffin was just in shock upon seeing her bloodhsot eyes and broken nose. Deciding he needed to take care of Harper, he pointed to his truck and said "Climb in."

"She was bruised and broke from head to toe, with a tear in her blood-stained shirt. She didn't tell the whole truth 'cause she didn't have to. I knew what had happened to her. I didn't load her down with questions, that girl had been through enough. I just threw in it drive, looked in those eyes and I asked her where he was."

Upon climbing in his truck, Harper wrapped her arms around Griffin and hugged him tightly. Clearly, something was really wrong with Harper if she had willingly hugged Griffin, even after she said she hated him all those years ago. And Griffin had a sinking feeling in his gut that he knew what was wrong with Harper. "Harper, what happened to you?" asked Griffin seriously as he looked over all the cuts and bruises Harper had all over her body, most notably on her arms and legs. She didn't say anything, but all the bruises she had were enough of an answer for Griffin. And it just angered him that someone had hurt his Locker Ninja. No, it didn't just anger him. It pissed him off beyond belief. And, right then and there, he decided to do something about it. "Where is he?" asked Griffin, dangerously quiet as he looked Harper in those deep, dark chocolate-brown eyes he loved. After a few minutes, Harper sighed. "Sulphur Springs trailer park."

"I don't know if he's an angel 'cause angels don't do what he did. He was hellbent to find the man behind all the whiskey scars I hid."

As Griffin drove them back to the trailer park, Harper couldn't help but wonder:Why? Why was Griffin doing this? Why was he so mad when he saw all her scars? Why did it seem like he was hellbent on murder? And most importantly, Why did it seem like he still loved her, even after all that was said and done that fateful day five years ago, just a week after their high school graduation? When they broke up? However, before she could continue wondering, she saw the familiar line of trailer homes on each side of a dirty, swampy, old rutted country road and heard Griffin ask, "Which one do I stop at?" She pointed at the seventh trailer on the left side of the road. "That one."