❝ The Ugly Duckling - Aira ❞

•————— ♬ —————•

                           •————— ♬ —————•

I hopped in the angst trains so fast LMAO

 Laying on the floor of the room assigned to ALKALOID, you stretched in your soft, makeshift mattress of pillows and blankets. The spot was oddly comfortable, a place you stayed awake just to enjoy laying in. While you mused over the taste of treats, you relaxed your muscles into the bedding. Exhaustion consumed your vision, making it blurry for each time you opened your eyes.
Although you were in comfort and relaxation, your hearing had not ceased. As if on queue to when you'd finally been ready to let go of musing, a small sound startled you awake. Tiredness fled your vision within a few blinks, your heart momentarily dropping into your gut with fear.
Having been startled by the unexplained noise, you remained in place; eyes widened with lingering adrenaline.

sniff.. hic..!

Realizing it was the sound of soft, quiet cries, you hesitantly sat upright. Examining the room, it appeared all idols were soundly asleep. With Hiiro snuggling his pillow, buried in blankets, he was knocked out in his bed; unsurprisingly, Mayoi pushed him hardest earlier. Speaking of Mayoi, the purple haired individual was sound asleep in his own bed, a twisted grin on his features; it seemed he was having a remarkable dream. And as per usual, Tatsumi was fast asleep on his side, his expression stony.
As for Aira, the blond was in his respective bed as well. Unlike the others, he held his pillow in a manner that hid parts of his face. Shielded by blankets that cloaked from his shoulders to the rest of his body, his lime hues were definitely open, in spite of a squint.

In unison, both you and Aira perked your heads, gazes locked as you were noticed. Promptly hiding his face, possibly pretending to be asleep, Aira ducked into the pillow he held onto. Realizing why he clutched onto the pillow in the way he did sunk your heart.
Was he making a fruitless effort to comfort himself?

Fortunately, he happened to be sleeping on the bottom bunk that night. You slowly lifted your hand, slowly waving it. Before long, Aira's gaze had caught onto it. With a quizzical expression, he lifted his head. You smiled softly, afterwards pointing to the bed. Eyeing the mattress beneath himself, Aira's gaze grew cold in an instant. It was as though he was warning you to stay put, but at the same time, you refused to simply observe as he attempted to console himself.
In a brief moment of frustration, you narrowed your eyes. You set your hand upon the floor, hoisting yourself onto your feet. Sneaking towards the bedside, you touched a fingertip to the bedsheets. With a nod of his head, the blond inched aside to allow you room to crawl into the bed beside him.

As you clambered into the bed, wrapping the blanket around your shoulders, Aira slowly sat upright. Though such a gorgeous face, he looked horrible. With red eyes that had dark-colored rings beneath them, he used a fist to dry his own eye. You extended your arms, blanket opening as though you had sugar-glider attributes. Giving in to your gesture, the blond leaned against your chest. Placing your hands on his shoulder, you grabbed the blanket in your left hand. As the wannabe idol heaved a few panicked breaths, you placed your right hand onto the back of his head.
"Shhh.." you whispered, leaning down to speak into his ear. "Why are you crying, Aira?"
"I messed up so much today," he replied timidly, his voice barely more than a breathy whisper. "Everyone easily exceeded me.. I feel bad for holding back their talent."

Arms around him, tenderly holding him, you stroked his blond hair. "Without you, they would have been disposed of already." You whispered, unable to share any more words of comfort further than that.
In fear of waking the others, Aira kept his lips sealed. He, instead, nuzzled into the blankets. A soft tremor shot through his body, even though he was in your warmth combined with the blanket. You placed your chin atop his head, rubbing his back with your free hand. As far as you were concerned, the others could sleep more later if they heard the two of you.
The incident did not anger you, however, it did make you wonder how Aira must feel. You hadn't seen him like this prior, and to be honest, he looked pretty when he cried. Definitely not as pretty as usual, but forget it. You had heard from Mayoi that Aira had cried over this topic in front of ALKALOID prior, even though it was brief.

Whatever it was, it struck a chord that you didn't appreciate whatsoever. Hearing the gentle, sniveling sound of breaking down whilst feeling the vibration-like movements of trembling summoned a gut-wrenching frown to your features. He certainly didn't deserve what was harming him, let alone having an entire breakdown over it. You slid your right hand onto his cheek, using your feathery finger to dry his tears. You smiled gently, willing him to be soothed by it.
It did not help.
Instead, Aira withdrew into a tight ball, fists covering his eyes as more tears flooded them. Tugging him close, you began to practice breathing exercises.

One deep inhale.. then a brief exhale. Then repeat.

Seeming to catch on with what you were doing, Aira instinctively mirrored your breathing pattern. Moments after this began, he'd suddenly stopped sobbing. He clutched onto your clothes, face smushed against your chest as he embraced you. With a relieved smile, you drew him close to your chest in a gentle, though protective hug. Encased in your arms, the underachiever tugged at you to lay down.

Obeying him, you proceeded to get comfortable in the bed. Aira in your arms, you smooched his nose before closing your eyes. Hands against his chest, the blond rested peacefully in your embrace, having cried all he could.
"Goodnight," in a hushed voice, you whispered to him. "I love you, Aira."
"Shush," he hissed under his breath. "I-I.. I love you, too."

༶•┈┈┈┈୨♡୧┈┈┈•༶

For a further POV, both Aira and yourself wake up the next morning, eager for breakfast. After emerging from the bed, you are greeted by Tatsumi, a smile on his face after his early prayers. Shortly after this, Mayoi emerges. With a sharp-toothed grin(a rare sight), the idol brought up the night. He'd heard, and seen, it all. He then goes on to comment on how adorable the communication was; lacking words, but conveyed in actions. As expected, Aira's flustered self urges you all to get breakfast; and get amnesia suddenly.