❝ Day Job - Mayoi ❞

╭─━━━━━━━─╮

                            ╰─━━━━━━━─╯                        ︿︿︿︿︿︿︿︿︿︿︿︿︿                                          │ │ │ │

╰─━━━━━━━─╯
︿︿︿︿︿︿︿︿︿︿︿︿︿
│ │ │ │. ;;
│ │ │ ✧
│ │ ♡
│ ✧

━━━━━━━

                                           You struggled to navigate through the thrill-themed restaurant named "Dead End". Both you and two close friends had been dragged into working part time there as a single-time special offer to celebrate the grand opening. So far, everything went incredible. You served customers, charming them with a gently, yet bubbly character. Meanwhile, Wataru's explosive voice nearly deafened the entire population within that building.

"Psst, Producer.." whispered a nearby voice.

You flinched, afterwards gazing down at Tomoya. The Rab*its member had become like a child to you, causing you to unconsciously refer to him by nicknames. "Yes, bub?"
He laughed at the nickname. "I wanted to ask if you noticed that Mayoi is gone."
"He left?"
"I think so."
"Got it," you smiled softly at him, patting his blond hair. "Thanks, Tomo! You're amazing. Keep an eye on Wataru, okay?"
"Okay!" He called over his shoulder as you rushed to the front door of the dark restaurant.

The day had been going off outstanding, especially since you'd witnessed Mayoi smile several times. He seemed genuinely contented with the work, yet now, he just disappeared underneath everyone else's noses. No matter, you understood that he may have gotten overwhelmed by the constant waves of guests, which was reasonable; you were growing antsy as well. You walked out into the district, gaze scanning the entire area for any signs of your phantom-y best friend.
Sunshine nearly blinding you, people bustling by, you felt your patience wearing quite thin. You heaved a massive sigh, afterwards approaching a nearby bench. You hoped to wait for a moment— if Mayoi was hiding somewhere, he'd eventually come out of his shell to greet you.
You seated yourself on the bench, eyeing the individual beside yourself..

Wait a minute. That's Mayoi!

However, he was curled up into a ball, gently crying into his knees. Your eyebrows knitted upon seeing him in such a state. "Hey, Mayoi." You whispered, alerting him of your presence prior to placing a hand on his head.

"EEEK—!"

In a panic, he swatted you away, harshly flinching away. You heaved a sigh, afterwards whistling at him. He stared at you through his fingers as his hands hid the rest of his face. Smiling now, you gave his head a soft pat. He visibly relaxed, hands sliding into his lap. "Producer..! I'm sorry!"
You shook your head. "You did nothing wrong," you then resumed patting his head. "I was actually looking for you. I wanted to make sure the crowd wasn't too much. I was a little late, haha."
Your laugh seemed to soothe Mayoi's teary-eyed-self. Gradually, he began to inch closer to you. "I wish we could stay close forever," he then flinched at his own words. "I'm sorry..! That was so weird of me..! Forgive m—"
Silencing him by cupping his face in your hands, you stared into his gorgeous hues. Your breathing was relaxed, your smile broad, you kissed Mayoi's nose. "You're not weird. I want to stay by you forever, too."

He whined as he hid his face in your clothes. You pat his head. "I love you."
"Wha..! No, no, you don't! You can't possibly love a vile creature like me..!" Mayoi argued.
You laughed a tad at his denial. "I really do," you kissed his head. "I love you."
He lifted his chin, tears in his eyes as he stared at you. His pale complexion began to regain color, that of a crimson hue. "I— I love you, too." He fumbled over his words.
"Yippie~!" You playfully dried his eyes, beaming at him. "If the crowd is too much for you, should we go home?"
"No.." Mayoi inhaled deeply, shaking his head briefly.

"Let's go back."

"Woah," you laughed happily, eyes aglow with anticipation. "I've got your back, okay?"
"Waah..! If I get scared and leave, it'll only make everyone mad..!" Cried the terrified Mayoi.
You shook your head. "Not really. We weren't really disturbed, we just wanted to make sure you're safe. The others went back to work."
"Really..?"
"Mhm!" You jumped to your feet. "You can do this, Mayoi."

Breathing deeply in and out, Mayoi hoisted himself to his feet. He took your hand in his, smiling sharply at you. You beamed back at him, offering to lead the way with a simple hand gesture forwards. Mayoi nodded, afterwards trailing in your wake with your hand in his.

He's getting better at handling his anxiety. That's amazing. Haha, a confident Mayoi— I don't know how I feel about that.

"Why are you laughing to yourself..? Do I look stupid?" Asked Mayoi.
"Nope, I'm just thinking about how good you are." You confessed.