Chapter 2 - And so it begins

"Riley, wake up! We're gonna be late. And I don't like to rush breakfast. Come on!" The voice echoes through the room. It belongs to a Ravenclaw girl, a 5th-year, Riley's classmate and roommate Erin. 

"Coming" Riley groans as she rolls out of bed. "I need at least a week's sleep to recover" she moans as she quickly gets dressed.

"No worries, a nutritious breakfast will give you enough energy. And defence against the dark arts is never a dull class, so by noon you'll be more than awake. Trust me" Erin says and opens the door and both she and Riley leave the room.

"I've thought I will not be able to sleep from excitement and be all jittery, but I feel like death," Riley murmurs as they sit down at the table. "Erin, there's barely anyone here! And the class is in an hour! I could have still slept" Riley says in a quiet, but angry voice as she looks around and realizes what time it is.

"You don't want to go to class with a full stomach, trust me. You want to have at least half an hour. Defence is not an easy class and I bet that professor Hecat will make you duel someone, or at least we will be practising some new spells on each other. And the last thing you want is to throw up" Erin says, knowingly.

And she was not wrong. After a quick chat with professor Fig after breakfast, Riley is standing in the classroom, watching the small duel.

"Leander Prevett, Gryffindor, thinks he is the best duellist in school" whispers Erin, while Riley is staring at the other guy, the one from yesterday. "Sebastian Sallow, Slytherin. May actually be the best duellist" she continues to whisper, but they are soon interrupted by professor Hecat.

So far, so good. Practising Levioso spell on the feather. It is not that difficult. Why was Erin saying all of that during breakfast? Was it to psych Riley out? Even with the dummy, it is still quite a relaxed class. Could have slept for a few minutes longer.

Not even a minute after, professor Hecat mentions duelling, and Riley's stomach twists a bit. It is not fear but more of an excitement. When the professor says they will start with them two, Riley quickly looks next to her. But it's not Erin there, it's Sebastian. How is he next to her? When did that happen?

"Time for a proper Hogwarts welcome," Sebastian says and chuckles, and Riley's stomach twists again. Thinking of all the spells she somehow remembers and used yesterday, her newly formed plan is quickly put aside by professor Hecat, who only wants them to use the new spell, Protego, and basic spells. What a shame, as Riley's had nice dancing legs spell ready.

"This should be easy," Sebastian says, but Riley quickly casts Protego and sends Sebastian flying across the podium they stand on. There is something exhilarating about duelling. Quick thinking combined with a general plan, and all the twists and turns your opponent throws at you. 

"This can't be your first duel," Sebastian looks at Riley, who just smiles back. It is not her first duel. And compared to yesterday, there is only one opponent. But that quick moment, when she stares at him costs her a lot, as now she is the one flying across the podium. 

"You're good," Riley says and Sebastian looks at her, grinning.

"How perceptive. Thank you," he replies.

Avoiding the temptation to use some special spells she's learned during summer, Riley quickly stands up, blocks another attack, and levitates Sebastian and this time, instead of a small push, he flies not only across the podium but off the podium. All she can hear is a small bang.

"I do enjoy a lovely duel" Riley hears professor Hecat says and smiles. This is fun. 

The duel is over and professor Hecat is very happy, calling both her and Sebastian adept.