Chapter 19 - An unexpected suitor

When it hits Saturday morning, Riley keeps laying in bed. After yesterday, she does not feel like she wants to get out of bed. Memory safely stored in her trunk, Riley's only focus for today is Everett and their agreed flying trip. She needs it more than ever. To fly around, as fast as possible, leaving all the worries behind her. 

Skipping breakfast, Riley rolls out of bed around noon time. Slowly making her way to the Common Room, she spots Erin in one of the armchairs and joins her, yawning.

"Good afternoon, sleepyhead" Erin smiles at her as Riley plumps down onto the sofa. "Both Sebastian and Ominis were looking for you" She adds in a mischievous voice, wiggling her eyebrows.

"When?" Riley asks, trying not to sound too excited.

"After breakfast. What is happening?" Erin sits up and looks at Riley with a piercing gaze like she's about to read her mind. Not breaking the gaze Riley stares back.

"Not much. We just get along. Is it not okay to have friends from a different house?" Riley breaks eye contact and starts rummaging in her bag, pretending to look for a book. In fact, she is checking the enchanted parchment, but as Erin is still staring at her, she decides it may not be the best idea to attempt to have a quick peek.

"Are we still on for tonight?" She asks and Riley looks at her with a bit of surprise. Did she plan anything with Erin? She's supposed to be flying around with Everett.

"I've made plans with Everett already, am I forgetting something?" Confused, Riley looks around, trying to remember, but nothing comes to her mind.

"He didn't tell you? It's all four of us, me and Amit are joining. Thought you knew," Erin replies and Riley rests her back on the armchair. Erin and Amit are definitely not up for an evening broom fun that may be very frowned upon by faculty members if they see them. What did Everett tell them?

The moment Riley notices no one is paying any attention to her in the Common room, she quickly gets her books and parchments out, pretending to double-check that all the homework is done. She can see Sebastian tried to contact her, inviting her to the Undercroft as apparently he and Ominis are not on speaking terms at the moment, but as tempting as it is, Riley's already promised to go with Everett, and she is really looking forward to it.

When it starts to get dark, Everett finally appears, with a big grin on his face. 

"Let's go," He says to Riley who jumps out of the armchair and follows him to the Ravenclaw balcony. Erin and Amit are already there, with their telescopes and star charts. When Riley gives Everett a confused look, he just shakes his head and drops his voice. "Alibi" He whispers and winks at Riley, who finally understands. Erin and Amit are not going with them. They are there to provide an alibi if it goes wrong.

"Genius" Riley mouths towards Everett who takes two brooms from behind the corner.

"What is happening? What are the brooms for?" Riley can hear Amit's panicky voice and laughs, as Everett handles one of the brooms to her.

"See you later" Everett yells as he mounts the broom and flies off the Ravenclaw balcony, and Riley follows.

"You've got to be kidding me!" Erin's voice is echoing after them, and Riley is glad to hear laughter in it. Bursting into laughter herself she follows Everett. Ravenclaw balcony is the perfect place to gain some speed and go unnoticed. 

"Where did you get the brooms from?" Riley yells when she catches up to Everett, who grins at her and heads towards the Black Lake.

"Kogawa, but we need to be careful. I said we want to practise a bit near the Quidditch Pitch, so we may need to stop there later" He yells back and Riley laughs, following him. The last time she was flying over Black Lake it was with Sebastian, on top of Tessa the Thestral. It was a rather different feeling than this.