Chapter 14 - Exciting news

"Someone's in a good mood for Monday morning," Erin states as Riley joins her for breakfast, smiling from ear to ear. The unexpected trip to Forbidden Forest ended up as a cosy little date. Now she needs to wait for what Sebastian plans for their next one.

"Need to start the week right," Riley sits down, ensuring she is facing Slytherin's table and briefly inspects it. She can spot Sebastian immediately and gives him a shy smile, which he returns. Trying not to look too obvious, Riley turns to the rest of her classmates.

"I wonder what Hecat has planned for today. It's been a while since we had a practical lesson jinxing the Merlin out of each other" Amit says thoughtfully "I wish I had your duelling skills" He adds, giving a sad look to Riley and she laughs. Defence is her favourite subject by far, and Professor Hecat her favourite Professor. 

The day goes by in an uneventful day, up until Potions.

"Today you will learn cooperation. Yes, cooperation in potions. You will work in pairs, and divide yourself. Ideally, with someone you have not worked before" Professor Sharp barks and before Riley has a chance to look at Sebastian, someone is by her side already.

"Hi Riley, wanna learn some unorthodox potion recipes?" Garreth Weasley asks as he joins her.

"Sure. Let's hope this one will not end in an explosion" Riley prepares her ingredients and book and can see Sebastian is opposite them, joined by Amit. What a weird pair.

"That's the best way to learn. Trial and error. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not" Garreth says playfully, and Riley laughs.

When Professor Sharp asks them to create one of the more difficult potions from the book, Riley discovers Garreth is really creative in his ways. 

"Why do you crush it, not cut it as the book says?" Riley asks, intrigued. There seems to be a lot of juice compared to other students.

"It is better to crush it. Easier. More juice. Stronger potion" Garreth gives her his knife and lets her try it herself.

"That's brilliant. How come you have so many mishaps with potion when you know all this stuff?" Riley adds the juice to the potion and smiles, as it turns the colour they need it to be.

"Sometimes I like to experiment. Add a bit of this and that to see if it works or not. As I said, trial and error. No great potion was made first try without a bit of singed table and burned cauldron" He adds and moves closer to Riley, pretending to check her book, and drops his voice while he whispers into her ear "I know this may be weird, but are you sneaking into the forest any time soon again?" 

"No idea what you're talking about" Riley whispers as well, noticing that Sebastian's eyes are narrowed and he's watching Garreth angrily. 

"If you ever happen to find any spider fangs there, please do let me know. I will be forever grateful. Sharp has them all counted and locked and they are a pain to obtain. I will pay you in any way you want" Garreth murmurs, almost inaudible.

"I'll keep an eye. But if I have to fight one, I jinx you the way even your aunt will not be able to restore you to your original state" Riley murmurs as well and Garreth laughs, going back to his own book. 

"That's a fair one. Why is Sallow staring at me?" Garreth adds and Riley tries to contain a smile. 

"You did cut my hand off! Help!" Riley can hear Amit's panicked voice and starts to laugh, as she can see Sebastian forcing his knife into the desk, good 8 inches away from Amit's hand. "Actually, never mind, it's all good, I just touched the hot cauldron," Amit says, relieved, and Riley can hear the whole class chuckle. Even Professor Sharp snorts as he shakes his head.