Chapter 30 - Double Trouble

It may only be Sunday morning, but the rumours are already circulating among students. While Riley is walking to the Great Hall for breakfast, she's already overheard two different versions of events. One was that she and Sebastian broke up after he attacked her and she paid him back in the final of a not-at-all-secret-club tournament. Another one was that she and Sebastian broke up and are now mortal enemies. Riley hasn't had a chance to speak to anyone properly yet, especially not Sebastian, but she really hopes those rumours are not true. They are definitely not mortal enemies, and he also did not attack her. But are they still a couple?

Entering the Great Hall, Riley can already feel a few eyes on her and hear a few whispers. Ignoring them and heading towards her friends, Riley decided to sit on the side that faces Slytherin's table. Unsure what she's expecting, she sits down and looks around. Only Amit is there and smiles at her broadly. Not even a few more seconds after, he is already in a conversation about how he is brushing up on Gobbledegook. Half-listening, Riley dares to look opposite her and spots Ominis' back, and Sebastian, who is facing her, but not looking her way. 

She returns her attention to Amit and only now realizes what he's talking about. He can speak the language of goblins! Maybe Amit is the piece she's missing with Lodgok. Maybe Amit would be willing to go with her and explore the mine, but something tells her he prefers a more theoretical life rather than a practical one.

"Amit, do you know anyone else who can speak Gobbledegook?" Riley asks, intrigued, and is a bit disappointed to hear that he knows of no one else, otherwise, he would have a chance to practice it. It's not like Riley does not want to take Amit with her, she is more worried about his safety. He is not the best in DADA classes, although he's very good at Charms. But he made it very clear his passion is stars.  

"Pssst!" Riley can hear behind her, but wanting to avoid any weird questions or more rumours, she is ignoring them. It is not after the piece of bread hits her head that she finally turns around, an irritated expression on her face.

"If you want something come here and stop throwing bread at me, Garreth!" She hisses when she notices the culprit behind the bread.

"Are you busy today?" Garreth asks as he sits down next to her, playing with a few pieces of bread in his hands.

"Why do you ask?" Riley is eyeing the pieces, as she has a bad feeling they may end up hitting her eventually.  

"I am in need of assistance. And you are my answer!" Garreth whispers, making sure no one can hear him, but the only one close is Amit who is lost in a book. 

"I'm listening," Riley says and gives him an inquisitive look, to which he responds with a big grin.

"I've noticed how good you are with potions. And I believe I have finally managed the perfect one, and want to try it. But I need someone there to make sure it will not all go south if you catch my drift," He whispers and you roll your eyes. This sounds like trouble. A lot of trouble.  

"No," Riley says, simply, and gives him a smile. She plans to spend her Sunday in the Room of Requirement reading and studying instead of whatever shady situation is Garreth trying to lure her into. 

"Please. I need you. You are top of the class in potions," Garreth says pleadingly, but Riley has made up her mind.

"Flattery will not get you anywhere. What exactly do you need from me? Because all of this is beyond suspicious," Riley finishes her breakfast and prepares to leave, but Garreth is still not giving up.

"I will test it on myself, but if it does not go well, I need you to pour an antidote down my throat. Just that," He shrugs with an innocent expression, but Riley knows better. That face is up to no good.