Chapter 3 - Frenemies

Riley doesn't even know how, but the first week is almost over. As excited as she is for the weekend, there is only one thing on her mind. Find Lucan Brattleby. See what Sebastian was talking about. She would absolutely love to be in a club with him. As talkative as he was during the first class, the rest of the week was more uneventful. Several professors commented on her abilities, but she was so busy and distracted with all the new information, she barely had time to catch a break. The evening class of Astronomy did not help her sleep deprivation, but at least she made a new friend.

Now, she is on her way to the courtyard. Does she have other things to do? Yes. Does she want to do them? No. 

After a bit of a struggle to find her way, she finally makes it and the first thing she sees is Sebastian standing in the shadow, reading something. Without even looking at her, he just mumbles "Glad you could make it. Lucan's just over there," he says and points his hand towards a small Gryffindor boy. Riley is not sure what she was expecting Lucan to be like, but definitely not this little boy. But then again, it is not wise to judge people by their looks. She's learned that more than once.

Lucan may be young, but he seems to know what he's doing. After explaining the Crossed Wands club, Riley is more than happy to join. The more she experiences magic, the more she realizes her memories may not be what they seem as well.

To her pleasant surprise, her first duel is with Sebastian. But not as an opponent, but as a partner. Trying to keep it cool, Riley hears a very annoying, pitchy voice, belonging to a girl in green, Slytherin. She vaguely remembers seeing her in classes, always trying to be close to Sebastian. 

"We'll make you regret signing up." The girl says in a bossy voice and looks at her duelling partner, a guy from Gryffindor she's never met before. Or maybe she was just not paying attention to any other people than her fellow Ravenclaws, and of course, Sebastian.

The moment the duel starts, it's like everything else disappears. Riley is focused and ready, and there is that exhilarating feeling from before. She was born to do this. This cannot be her third time in a duel. There must be more. Maybe a quick trip to professor Fig's office is needed. If there is anyone she trusts at this point, it's him. After the dragon and Gringotts and their little talk, Riley has a feeling he may know more about her than he admits. 

But now it's time to focus on the duel. This is not time to lose, she cannot let Sebastian down. Or worse, she cannot let him carry her through the duel. She needs to shut that girl's mouth. 

It does not take a long time for Riley to realize that she may be the only one there not using a lot of defensive charms, but being rather offensive. She needs to calm down and wait for the opportunity because those two are blocking everything. They barely fight back. It is getting a bit boring, Riley is used to more action than this. But then, the golden opportunity arises. The girl blocks Sebastian's attack and flashes him a coy smile. And that is when Riley strikes.

The girl is sent flying to the wall, but Riley is not done yet. She sends a bunch of flames that the girl dodges and then lifts her up by her feet, leaving her dangling for a second. At the same time, she casts her final spell and slams the girl to the ground, and Sebastian sends ropes towards the Gryffindor guy and he falls down, unable to move.

"And we have winners," Riley can hear Lucan's excited voice but does not lower her defence. He may say it's over, but there is a chance that one of them wants revenge and do a sneaky attack. She needs to be ready.

No one fights back and the girl stands up, with a bit of blood on her cheek, giving Riley the nastiest look possible. The Gryffindor guy, on the other hand, stands up and brushes off the dust from his robe. 

"Good one, newbie." He says and walks past Riley, giving her a small, non-vindictive smile. After watching a few more duels, it's time to go. Riley is one of the last ones there, and as she is collecting her things, she can hear the Slytherin girl talking to Lucan.

"Lucan, what the hell? Why was I not paired with Sebastian? Why her?" Her voice is very accusatory, and there seems to be a lot of anger in it.

"Sebastian's request," Lucan replies in a cheery voice, and the girl is heading towards the exit, and towards you.

"Lucky you had Sebastian carrying you." She says to Riley as she walks past, in a low voice. "See you later, friend," she adds louder, giving Riley a smile. A very insincere smile.

"What on Earth was that," Riley says as the girl leaves, staring at the door, pretty sure they will not be BFFs at all.

"That was a sore loser." Sebastian's voice comes from behind her and Riley almost jumps, quickly turning around. How did he get there? Didn't he leave already?

"Do you often hide in the shadows?" Riley says in a bit higher voice, noticing Sebastian standing next to the small column, sort of hiding in its shadow. 

"Occasionaly. Good job today, I was not wrong about you." He says and Riley can feel butterflies in her stomach. "See you soon, then" he adds and as he's about to leave, Riley shouts after him, without even thinking.

"Or tomorrow after lunch if you have no plans. Going to Hogsmeade to get supplies. Would be nice to have someone with me who knows where to go" Riley says in one breath. She may have formed this plan beforehand, but was not really sure she will go with it and actually say something. She is going to Hogsmeade tomorrow, as professor Weasley suggested. Professor Weasley also suggested asking someone to go with her. She could have asked Erin or Amit, but Sebastian was her first choice. Now she can only hope for the best.

"See you tomorrow then. One o'clock near the entrance," Sebastian says, gives Riley a small smile and leaves.

"Those were some brilliant duelling skills," Riley jumps again and turns around, now facing excited Lucan.

"Thank you," she says, wondering whether people just like to sneak up on her. Or maybe her mind is too distracted to notice them.

"We have a duelling tournament soon. To crown a new champion. You should definitely join. But you need to find a partner. Choose carefully, your partner is also your final opponent for the title," Lucan says and leaves as well, leaving Riley on her own. 

Now she knows exactly what the conversation will Sebastian will be tomorrow. But she needs to think it through. She cannot seem desperate. But he seems friendly enough, so maybe it would be no harm. But then again, that Slytherin girl is acting like Sebastian is her duelling partner, so you never know. 

Also, why did she accentuate the word 'friend'? Was it to imply that she and Sebastian have something going on and Riley is just a friend there? They are both in Slytherin and the same year. And she seems to be next to him all the time. Or was it meant for her? That she considers Riley a friend now? More of a frenemy to be fair. Only one way to find out.

"What a week," Riley smiles at the wall and gets ready to leave. As tired as she is, it may be a good idea to do all the schoolwork today. Who knows what time she comes back tomorrow? And leaving stuff last minute for Sunday is never wise. To the library!