Chapter 42 - Unravelling shadows

"Well, I hope you've enjoyed every moment of this amazing chase because I can assure you, I'm having the time of my life!" Riley's voice echoes with a mix of exhaustion, frustration and sarcasm as she finds herself collapsed on the cold floor. Her gaze locks with the weary eyes of a Graphorn, reflecting the shared weariness they both carry.

"I still can't believe he just left me there. Abandoning me amidst all the chaos and danger he created himself," Riley starts talking to Graphorn, her words dripping with bitter disappointment.

"Because why bother sticking together, right? Who needs loyalty and support when you can simply stroll away, leaving me to fend for myself? Thanks for showing me just how much I mean to you." She continues to rant and the Graphorn is staring at her. It all dawned on Riley during the last hour that she's spent using all the cabbages, transfiguring everything she was able to into small fast animals, and wearing down this San Bakar's Lord or whatever he called it.

"But you know what? I refuse to let his absence define my strength. I will rise above this, even if I have to face it alone. And truth be told, I am facing it alone," Riley declares, determination fueling her weary soul as she stretches out her hand towards the Graphorn as if seeking solace in their presence.

"But you are not like him. You are nice. You are understanding. And you will help me. Right? I need you to come with me to the Pensieve Chamber. Will you help me? I think I've proven myself to you," Riley asks Graphorn and her eyes sparkle a bit with excitement as Graphorn lowers down the body, signalling for her to climb on top.

"You beautiful, majestic Lord, thank you so much," Riley pets Graphorn as they are walking towards the Pensieve Chamber. Upon closer inspection, Graphorn is a beautiful creature. She can understand why people are afraid of them, but it is judging the book by its cover. They look scary and dangerous, but deep down, when you prove yourself, they are very nice. Unlike wizards, who can seem to be the sweetest, cutest and most adorable ones but then they abandon you in the middle of a catacomb full of Inferi they did conjure themselves.

There is certainly a lot of bitterness in Riley's heart. As much as she is proud of herself for handling the situation rationally, there is that piece of her that wants to punch Sebastian in the face, scream and yell at him, throw stuff at him, grab him by his collar and shake him until there is some sense back in his head. But she cannot do that. That is not her. And also it would not help. It would only add fuel to the fire.

When they reach a small goblin camp, Riley notices there are fewer goblins than usual, even for a small camp like this. Before she can act or say anything, Graphorn speeds up and runs right through the encampment, with goblins screaming in terror, jumping away.

"Your blood is on Ranrok's hands!" Riley yells as they leave the camp. She is not in the mood to deal with anything else. She just wants it to be over. To know the story. To end this. Thankfully, Graphorn is helping her and when they finally arrive at their destination, Riley jumps down and attempt to hug the Graphorn. It seems to work and she also pets Graphorn on the head, before the Graphorn turns around and stands on the small platform, emitting the familiar blue light. The door opens and with a thankful smile, Riley waves at Graphorn. She rummages in a small bag and gets her Nabsack out.

"Do you want to come with me, or stay?" Riley asks, her voice steady yet tinged with anticipation. Graphorn gazes at her with a knowing look, a silent acknowledgement passing between them. With a gentle nod, the magnificent creature affirms its decision. It chooses to stand by Riley's side, to venture into the unknown within the comforting depths of the Nabsack.

Excited, Riley enters the chamber. The feeling of having someone as magnificent as Graphorn by her side is getting her more and more courage.

"Please don't be more of the guardian statues or puzzles. I really can't even right now," Riley mutters when she notices a familiar room. It looks like the first two ones, but thankfully, no more fighting. Just San Bakar's portrait.