Chapter 40 - Sebastian's Madness

"You are the first student I have ever had," Professor Hecat begins, her tone carrying a blend of curiosity and concern. As she secures the Boggart inside the small cabinet in her classroom, her gaze locks onto Riley, searching for answers. "To explore your fear and almost dwell on it rather than fight it. If I were to place a Dementor right in front of you, I suspect it would take you less time to master the Patronus charm than it takes you to fight your fear. Why is that?"

"I..." Riley hesitates for a while, trying to figure out why is all of this happening and why she's acting this way. "...I'm not entirely sure, Professor Hecat. It's just... when faced with my fears, it feels like confronting them head-on is the only way to truly understand them. And I cannot see anything I can do to change them into something funny I would laugh at."

"If you want to pass your  Defense against the dark arts O.W.L. you better figure it out quickly," Professor gives her a bit of a stern smile and Riley sighs. She is very aware if she faces the boggart in her exams, she's in trouble. But how can she make it funny? 

"Any advice?" Riley asks, bluntly, and Professor's face softens a bit.

"In your case, it may be easier to find a new fear rather than fight this one. Although I am not even sure if it is a proper fear," Professor Hecat says and Riley sighs again. Why is she not scared of something different than her own mind?  

"I may take a trip to Forbidden Forest and try and get almost eaten by Acromantula. That may help. Just let its legs tap dance and exam passed," Riley leans towards the desk.

"Boggarts rarely appear during those exams, but it's better to be prepared," Professor Hecat gives her a wave dismissing her, and Riley heads towards the door. "You would do well in the Department of Mysteries. But to do that, you need to pass the exam," She adds and Riley smiles as she leaves the classroom. 

Walking down the stairs, something small is ricocheting towards her, and before she can react, something hits her hard in the head and almost knocks her down.

"What the..." Riley looks around, confused, and notices an owl leaving her a letter with her name, flying away. What is happening? What is so urgent?

The moment she reads the letter, Riley can feel her breath becoming more and more shallow, and she can feel her hands trembling. It is from Ominis. And it is not looking good. Sebastian has gone too far. 

It's been only a few days since the Coastal Mine, but the image of Lodgok being betrayed by his own brother is not leaving her mind. And it started quite the same. Just a note from Lodgok saying he's done trying to reason. Can Sebastian be in a similar situation?

Sprinting through the corridor, Riley makes her way towards the Headmaster's office. There is no time to be wasted. The letter sounds serious and urgent. She doesn't have any time to spare. Hogsmeade is a very long walk away. 

Although Riley has a plan formed in her head already, there is no need to execute it as Headmaster's voice is echoing in the Trophy Room scolding someone, and the password to his office remains the same. Not really comprehending how much luck she's got right now, Riley is sprinting up the spiral staircase until she reaches the fireplace and grabs a bit of floo powder. 

As Riley arrives at Feldcroft, an inexplicable unease settles upon her. Something feels off as if the very air carries an unsettling energy. Her instincts kick in, sharpening her senses, and it doesn't take long for her to realize the source of her unease. Inferi. A multitude of them loom in the vicinity, their menacing presence impossible to ignore. However, amidst the chaos, she observes the villagers and Solomon, surprisingly composed, effectively dealing with the menacing creatures.