Chapter 32 - Headmaster for an hour

When Riley wakes up on Monday morning, she feels amazing. She and Sebastian are still together, and even though she can feel a bit of tension, she's hoping things will go back to normal soon. After yesterday's Room of Requirement evening, there is a massive smile on her face as she is making her way to the first class of the day with her fellow Ravenclaws.

When reaching the classroom, Riley looks around and spots Erin and Amit and starts heading towards them.

"Can I have a word?" A familiar voice stops her and Riley looks at Leander, surprised.

"Why?" She asks and narrows her eyes. What is it now? He barely speaks to her unless he is trying to ask her out or slip her a potion. What does he want now?

"No need to get defensive, just want a word in private," Leander says in a tense voice.

"Class is about to start," Riley motions towards Professor Hecat as she is walking down the stairs, but he grabs her arm. The injured one. Riley winces, but before she can say anything, Sebastian appears behind her, out of nowhere. How has she not noticed him?

"I would consider your next move very carefully if I were you," Sebastian says in a low voice and Leander looks at him inquisitively. Possibly he is one of those spreading the rumours about their breakup.

"I've thought you two broke up," Leander confirms Riley's thoughts, but Sebastian lets out a very dry laugh.

"You wish, Prewett," He says, but before anything can escalate further, Professor Hecat intervenes.

"Let's see how much you remember from the last term. Get into pairs, we will have a more practical lesson today. You two..." She points out at Sebastian and Leander "...can start us off. Get into pairs," Professor Hecat motions towards everyone and seeing Erin with Amit, Riley moves to Ominis and places her hand around his shoulder.

"Hello there, partner," She says cheerfully and laughs when Ominis sighs. Riley notices a few weird looks but ignores them. No one except Sebastian knows that the newly found discovery of being cousins bonded Riley and Ominis over Christmas. Not even her Ravenclaw friends. All they know is that they are friends now.

"You should find better friends, Sallow. Who knows what they're doing behind your back," Leander whispers and points his head towards Riley and Ominis, but Sebastian just smiles.

"I'm glad you and Sebastian talked things out yesterday," Ominis says to Riley who can feel her cheeks going a bit red. They may have patched things up, but they did not speak a lot. Their mouths were busy kissing instead, but no one needs to know that. What happens in the Room, stays in the Room.

"I'm just glad he's not too salty after our duel," Riley says in a low voice and watches Sebastian and Leander staring at each other with pure hatred.

"I have advised him to redirect his stubbornness and ego somewhere else, and I think he has finally listened," Ominis says as Sebastian blasts Leander to the other side of the room.

"Defensive spells, Mister Prewett. Use them," Riley can hear Professor Hecat and realizes they are the only pair not practising, so she steps back, ready. After duelling Sebastian and the Cross Wands members, and after two trials and the little adventure with Amit, she feels very confident in her abilities. But, as Professor Hecat reminded her earlier, confidence can be a stepping stone to loss, and she always needs to be ready and not underestimate anyone.

"Nice work, both of you," Professor Hecat says as she walks past them and Riley seizes the opportunity and moves closer to her.

"Professor, do you happen to know if Professor Fig is back?" She asks as she deflects a spell and Professor Hecat just nods and walks to another pair.