Chapter 33 - Peverell and Gaunt

//The events differ slightly from the game for story purposes//

It is right after the Third Trial and Riley is standing in the Map Chamber, all pale, shaking. Looking at the portrait of Niamh Fitzgerald, there are so many questions she wants to ask. But before she has a chance, San Bakar arrives and tells her she must wait longer for the last trial. Not really caring at this point, Riley keeps staring at the portrait.

"Professor, this whole time. Did you know? About me?" Riley asks, trying to stop the shaking. Everyone is looking at her, intrigued.

You shall be witness to a fable. Pay attention. Things are not always as they seem. 

"That fable I witnessed. Your trial. It was about the Peverell brothers, wasn't it?" Riley keeps talking, vaguely remembering bits and pieces. It feels like this trial is bringing back memories. Maybe she does not need Crucio after all.

"They are rumoured to be the three brothers that created those three objects. Why do you ask?" The portrait of Niamh Fitzgerald asks and Riley hides her hands in the pockets, as they are shaking more and more.

"Were Professor Rackham or Isidora Morganach descendants of Peverell?" Riley asks and she notices all the portraits are still paying attention to her.

"Not that we know of. Why would you ask?" Now it is the portrait of Percival Rackham talking, and Riley is considering the best approach. There is no sign of understanding in any of the faces. Maybe it's just a coincidence. Maybe they don't know about her. But then again, they are just the portraits.

"I can see traces of ancient magic, the same way you and Isidora Morganach could. But my circumstances were a bit different. I did not come to Hogwarts the same way. This is not my first wizarding school," Riley says and the tension that arises in the room is making her shake even more. Turning to Professor Fig, Riley can see a bit of understanding on his face. "Professor, can you please keep everything I say between us? Without any consequences for anyone?" Riley asks him and he nods, with eyes wide open, seemingly stunned.

Taking a deep breath, Riley starts to explain how her memories started to come back. How Crucio has unlocked the invisible lock placed on her memories by Gaunt and how everything is making sense right now. 

"...and the moment I saw the Cloak, I had those images in my head with the story my parents used to tell me. Beedle the Bard. This is the first time I was able to recall their voice. When I reached the Wand, I knew I was right. The Elder Wand. Must have been the Elder Wand. And when I reached the Stone I heard them. Both of my parents. And it all started to come back. Everything that happened before the lock charm was placed on my memories. You said this trial will be eye-opening, why?" Riley asks, trying to make sure she is not missing any details. It is all a mess in her head, and hopefully, it makes sense to them.

"It was the memory we were talking about," Niamh Fitzgerald says and Riley shakes her head.

"If you'd excuse me, I would like to go," Riley says and without waiting for a response, she turns around and leaves, followed by Professor Fig.

"Are you okay?" He asks when they leave the Map Chamber and Riley continues walking. After almost a minute, she finally stops and turns to face Professor Fig, with tears running down her face.

"I am starting to remember things. And they are not nice. Ominis' father was not telling him the entire truth," Riley says and stares at Professor Fig. 

After telling Professor Fig bits and pieces, Riley is now heading towards the Undercroft, hoping she can find Ominis there. He oughts to know the truth, although he may not like it. Fighting back the tears, she casts a disillusionment charm, so no one can stop her and asks questions, as she is not in a good state. When she reaches the Undercroft, she removes the charm and is relieved to see both, Ominis and Sebastian in there.