Chapter 23 - The Ball, part II

Riley still cannot believe it. Sebastian Sallow is her boyfriend. How did that happen? How did she get so lucky? What was it that impressed him? Is he as smitten with her as she is with him? 

As they walk towards the Great Hall again, Riley can feel Sebastian's hand brushing against hers, fingers lightly touching. A lot of heat is rushing through her body when their fingers finally interlock, and even though it is pretty cold outside, his hand feels warm. 

When they reach the Hall, Riley notices a few people looking at them, some of them with smiles on their faces, some of them very indifferent, and very few giving them the death stare. When they are walking past a group of Gryffindors, Sebastian lets go of her fingers and grabs her hand in a firm grip, like he is letting them know she is with him. Riley cannot help but grin. 

Reaching the table, only Ominis is there, looking extremely bored. Looking around, Riley notices all her friends are dancing, even Imelda seems to be enjoying herself.

"Why are you still here?" Riley asks Ominis as she sits down next to him.

"Dances are not my thing," Ominis says, and Riley can sense a bit of sadness in his voice.

"You should give fun a try," She says and grabs a juice from behind the desserts that she saved for later. 

"I'm good," Ominis replies and Riley rolls her eyes, but before she has a chance to drag him to the dance floor, she takes a sip from the juice.

There is a strange sensation washing over her body the moment juice slips down her throat. Why is she even trying to make him enjoy himself? Why is she here? She shouldn't be here. Riley quickly stands up and looks around. Where is he? Is he with someone else? Does she look desperate? She needs to be perfect for him to notice her.

"Riley?" There is a voice in the distance, but she is not paying any attention to it. It's not important. The only thing that matters is to find him. To be with him. With her only love. How can anyone resists a smile so perfect, eyes so bright, and hair so ginger? The intense desire to be with him is the only reason she is alive. 

"What is happening?" There is another voice in the distance, but it does not matter either. It is not him. No one else matters, but him. She needs to be with her only true love. She has waited enough. 

Someone tries to grab her hand, but she pushes them away. No one is worthy to touch her, except one special person. And he is standing there, surrounded by other Gryffindors. Time to gather all the courage and finally talk to him. To profess her love. She cannot exist without him, not another second to be spent just staring at him.

There is only one thing she wants. She needs. To hold him, to be with him, to kiss him, to never let go. And if his friends laugh at her, she doesn't care. She cannot live her life in a lie. She needs to come clean. Riley is not sure when this all started, but she knows the feeling is real. Her love is real. The feeling is so strong she refuses to fight it anymore. 

"So it's you who he's tried to bewitch" Garreth looks at her as she is walking towards him, half-laughing. What is so funny? Why is he laughing at her? Is she looking weird? Is there something in her hair? Does he not feel the same way about her? 

Not being able to hide her feelings anymore, she launches herself towards Garreth Weasley and grabs him by the neck, pulling him close. But before she can kiss him, someone pushes her away and all she can see is Garreth on the floor, blood rushing down his face, his nose broken.

"No! How dare you hurt my only love!" Riley yells and sends a jinx towards the attacker. Sebastian flies through the room and falls hard on the floor, but Riley does not care. Why did he do that to her beloved Garreth?