Chapter 54 - The trio is back

Thankfully, Monday morning is going on without any problems and Professor Hecat seems to be very happy with her and Leander's idea and promises the class to start working on Patronus in their sixth year, which seems to be the best motivation for how to get everyone do their best at O.W.L.s. 

It is very obvious Cecelia is on board with Riley's former plan and even smiles at her. Meanwhile, Sebastian seems more quiet than usual, not even looking at Riley. But it all changes during Potions, when Professor Sharp decides to surprise the class with the most dangerous assignment yet.

"Prepare a potion of your choice. It can be anything. You will test that potion on one of your classmates, but I will pair you up after all the potions are brewed. You have an hour, think wisely, this will affect your grade greatly, so do not do anything too simple. But also brew something worth the points that is within your capabilities. I will fail you if the potion does not work as intended. Go!" Professor Sharp says with a grin as he sits at the desk and watches everyone's confusion. And Riley completely understands why.

"This is exciting, I am actually enjoying the class," Garreth Weasley says and smiles at Riley, who is sharing a desk with him.

"I fear for whoever is partnered with you and pray it's not me," Riley answers with a smile as well and opens the textbook for inspiration. She cannot do anything too simple, but also cannot go overboard just in case she messes up. She can brew something funny, something nice, something healing, or something to humiliate the victim. But who is the victim? 

"The perfect time for my special brew," Garreth says excitedly and Riley can hear a nervous murmur around.   

"Whoever annoys me the most is paired up with Weasley," Professor Sharp says as he opens a book, puts his feet up on the desk and starts reading. 

"So which of your masterpieces are you going to present today?" Riley asks Garreth as she is cutting some of her ingredients.

"I call it a Potion of Masterful Insults," Garreth grins and Riley covers her mouth, trying not to laugh too loud. 

"This should be interesting. And he cannot even punish you if it works."

"I know. It's perfect," Garreth laughs and starts brewing his potion. Meanwhile, Riley decides not to overthink it and brew something simple, but add a twist to it. Is this the best time to experiment? Absolutely not. But he cannot fail her completely. And if he does, Riley is sure she can find a way out of it. All she needs is to pass the required O.W.L.s and whether it's here or at Durmstrang, she should be good. 

Their hour is almost up, and Riley is sure of her potion. If it works the way it should, it will induce the happiest memories, which should help with Patronus Charm. The only problem is, she would prefer to test it on herself to see if it works, and hopefully produce a Patronus before anyone else can. On the other hand, there is a slight chance of poisoning herself, so maybe a classmate is a good idea.

"Alright, let's see what we have here," Professor Sharp says and stands up. As he is walking from one student to another, there is either no noise, a sigh, a grunt, or, when he comes to Riley and Garreth, an approving nod. 

"I think it's a good start," Garreth whispers to Riley's ear when Sharp leaves them. Riley giggles and cannot help but notice Sebastian is looking her way with furrowed eyebrows. 

After around twenty minutes, quite a few of her classmates already had a go. So far, no poisoning, but also no praise from Professor Sharp, who called every single potion so far basic and not noteworthy for the challenge and upcoming exams.

"Alright, let's break this monotone cycle of most basic potions from the textbook with something hopefully more exciting. Miss Peverell, Mister Sallow, you're up. Let's see how it goes," Professor Sharp calls Riley and Sebastian, and there are a few quiet 'oohs' echoing. "What is it you have there, Miss Peverell?" He adds and Riley looks at Sebastian, but he is staring at Professor instead.