Chapter 6 - Rumours and Distractions

Following her first week, when she was attacked by a dragon, ended up in Gringotts via Portkey, sorted into Ravenclaw, duelled troll in Hogsmeade and made a new friend in Sebastian, the second week seems to be very uneventful so far. 

"Weekend is almost here. Are we making any plans, or will you follow your tradition of appearing out of the darkness with Sebastian Sallow?" Erin looks at Riley, grinning. 

"Why are you bringing it up? I've told you, Saturday he accompanied me to Hogsmeade and we ran into a troll, and Sunday I ran into him in the Courtyard. Nothing suspicious there," Riley rolls her eyes, exasperated. Since people saw them on Saturday and heard the rumour about the troll, and then saw them again on Sunday entering the castle together, and then the Great Hall later on, they've been asking what's going on.

"Just teasing you, chill" Erin throws candy at Riley and she catches it while trying not to fall asleep in the Ravenclaw's Common Room. The first round of the elimination tournament starts tonight, and if she wants to be a Crossed Wands Champion, she should not be falling asleep but practising.

"I don't get it. Why is everyone asking me about it? What do they think we're doing? Sneaking out of the castle to fight trolls on purpose or what?" Riley unwraps the candy and eats it. "Whoaaaaa!" she yells as the steam starts coming out of her ears. Erin is lying on the sofa opposite her, laughing.

"Well, everyone is intrigued. It seems like Sebastian took a liking to the new girl and everyone is wondering what is going on between them" Erin winks at Riley and Riley sits up, suddenly awake. 

"What? That is ridiculous. Why would they think that?" Riley is now looking at Erin, who is still laughing.

"You can't be serious. Since the first class, when you so beautifully destroyed him during the duel, you always seem to be everywhere together, giving each other looks. Apparently, on Friday you had some duel together and your partnership was on point. Then on Saturday, you disappear to Hogsmeade, just the two of you, for half a day. And then on Sunday, you are seen walking together to the castle, disappearing, and then appearing out of nowhere in the Great Hall, flirting all along."

"Flirting? All along? All I did was say he's not that bad for a Slytherin, and he said I have a lot to learn for a Ravenclaw. So I gave him a little slap!" Riley is now fully awake, staring at Erin, who still lays on the sofa with a smile on her face, pretending to read one of the schoolbooks.

"Well I do believe that can be considered flirting, Riley" Erin finally sits up and looks at Riley, pretending to be serious. The corners of her mouth are twitching, though.

"I wouldn't say so." 

"Tell it to your red face then" Erin laughs and puts the book aside, looking at Riley with a massive grin. "So?" She asks.

"So what?" Riley is now very confused. What is happening?

"What is going on between you two?" Erin presses the subject and moves closer to Riley. "I will not tell anyone," she is almost whispering now. 

"Nothing. Absolutely nothing," Riley says, completely flustered. 

"Why are you freaking out then?" Erin is still laughing, while Riley is now standing up.

"I'm not. And, for your information, my face is red because there is still steam coming from my ears. Now, if you excuse me, I need to go and build my reputation as the best duellist," Riley adds and disappears through the door. 

"Say hi to Sebastian!" Erin yells after her, still laughing. 

At first, Riley was not sure if she should mention something to Erin about Crossed Wands, but it turned out Erin used to be a member last year but got bored and left. According to her, she prefers to learn stuff rather than blow stuff up, and rather spend her time doing homework and studying than listening to kids moaning because their egos got beaten.