Chapter 25 - Bonds beyond blood

With Christmas around the corner, it's the last week of classes, and after seeing all the bite marks and bruises Garreth had after encountering her snowball full of Chinese Chomping Cabbages, Riley's decided it's enough. 

Spending more and more time in the Undercroft and the Library and less and less time in her Common Room, Riley is now used to having all her stuff with her. With a neat little charm that Professor Ronen taught her, the bag she's wearing is now enchanted and can fit a Hippogriff. 

"Few more classes and we're free," Everett whispers as they are working together during Herbology, and Riley nods. She is staying at Hogwarts, but it seems no one besides her and Ominis plans to stay. All her Ravenclaw friends are going home, and Sebastian is going to visit Anne. He's suggested Riley and Ominis join him, but with all the drama with Solomon, they both decided to stay at Hogwarts. Even Sebastian was considering it, but the idea of leaving Anne with Solomon was more than he could have handled.

When the last class of the year finishes, everyone excitedly heads for dinner, discussing all their plans and looking forward to tomorrow and Hogwarts Express taking them home. As Riley has no idea if there is any family left, and cannot remember much she is not as bothered as people suspect her to be.

"Are you sure you don't want to join me? My parents are really okay with it," Erin says but Riley just smiles at her, shaking her head.

"Honestly, I will be fine. I have plans already. A quick catch-up with Professor Weasley about my progress, a study session with Ominis, and maybe a little trip with Professor Fig. I will be okay," She repeats with a wide grin, but can still see a bit of concern in Erin's eyes. "And imagine the whole Common Room to mostly myself!" She now throws her hands in the air in celebration and they all laugh. 

"Is your boyfriend not staying then?" Everett asks and Riley grabs a dessert, spoon at the ready.

"He's going home for a few days. May visit him one day, but he's possibly back around the 27th anyway. And it's not like Feldcroft is that far away" She shrugs, carelessly. She would love to spend Christmas with him, but the current arrangement seems to work the best. Besides, there is something she wants to discuss with her possible relative Ominis anyway.

"I'm surprised Black just lets you use his fireplace. Talk about privilege," Erin winks at her and Riley laughs, examining the pudding.

"It's all Ominis, not me. Gaunts have power," Riley responds with another shrug.

"He does not act like Gaunt a lot, though. But then again, I would have not imagined someone like Sebastian being from Feldcroft either," Everett drops his voice and Riley is occupying herself with pudding. She knows exactly why Ominis detests his family but still uses their name to get his way. And she also knows how hard Sebastian is working to make his and Anne's life better.

"Maybe, just maybe, there is more to people than you think," Erin says mockingly and Everett gives a half-hearted shrug.   

"Just stating my opinion, Erin," Everett is now playing with gingerbread cookies, making them do different acrobatic movements each.

When everyone leaves the next morning, Riley notices it is only her and two other Ravenclaws that are staying. Both of them are seventh-years getting ready for their exams instead of going home. Claiming the biggest sofa in the Common Room, Riley is enjoying her breakfast there, keeping an eye on the enchanted parchment. Sebastian promised to give her updates. 

Easily finishing one of the biggest essays, it is dinner time and Riley decides to head towards the Great Hall for dinner. Unsurprisingly, there is now only one medium-sized table for everyone, and it seems most of the faculty has left as well. Sitting down next to Ominis, Riley looks at the selection of food and smiles. House elves are making sure they enjoy their time at Hogwarts.