Chapter 48 - Scars

Today's potion class feels different. Professor Sharp's eyes are darting towards Riley more often but in a less stern way. It's almost like he's making sure she's okay. After using the potion he gave her yesterday, Riley feels very groggy. She did have a good night's sleep without any nightmares, but she also keeps zoning out. Is it just the potions they're brewing, or is it a side effect? Or something completely different?

"You need to be very precise here. Exactly seven stirs clockwise. Do one more or one less and it may end up in disaster. If you have to, count loudly. I don't need any explosions here. Mister Weasley, understood?" Professor Sharp looks at Garreth who is not paying much attention.

"Yes, Professor," Garreth's eyes widen, and he nods. "What did he say?" Garreth whispers to Riley, who is next to him.

"Seven clockwise. Not more, not less, exactly seven. Clockwise," Riley murmurs as she tries her best to stay focused. Her head is hurting a bit and she feels a bit dizzy. It's probably just the fumes.

After finishing the potion, Riley is quite pleased with her one, and as Professor is making his round, he nods appreciatively and Riley smiles. She is still considering which classes to take next year, and Potions are one of the subjects she was considering dropping. But maybe not anymore.

The second half of the class is dedicated to revision, and they are going through the most common poisons and antidotes, as that is, according to Professor Sharp, always being tested during exams. The only problem is, Professor's voice is being interrupted by several other voices, and Riley starts to feel a bit more dizzy as she is staring at her cauldron, trying to focus.

"We're going to need to understand how Ranrok's Loyalists knew about a tower that once belonged to a Keeper. For the moment, however, you've more important things to set your mind to. A reservoir of ancient magic, I believe?" Professor Fig says in a friendly tone as they are standing in front of Percival Rackham's portrait, just before facing a trial.

"Yes, sir," Riley responds, ready to prove herself, ready to face whatever is waiting for her. 

"Then I shall leave matters in your increasingly capable hands. That said, be careful," Professor Fig smiles at her and Riley nods. Increasingly capable hands. She must be doing something right. It's so good to hear praise, especially from her mentor.

"I will, sir. I'll see you back in the Map Chamber," Riley says, determined, as she watches Professor Fig disapparate. She will meet him after in the Map Chamber. He will be waiting there.

Except, he won't. She will not meet him there, ever again.

Maybe if she was stronger, more prepared, more ready, he would still be here. It was exhaustion, but if she was quicker at defeating Ranrok, things would be different. If she did not let Ranrok hit that ledge where he was standing, he would still be here. 

And now he's not. She's got no one. No one she can fully confide in, no one to teach her new spells, no one to help her understand. No one.

"Riley, are you feeling okay?" A voice near her whispers, but it still seems far away. Where is she? Is she in the castle, or is she attending class? What is happening?

As Riley stands there, a strange unease washes over her like an ominous tide. The air grows heavy, and her surroundings blur. The walls seem to sway and shift, morphing into abstract patterns that dance before her unfocused gaze. With each passing moment, her senses grow increasingly dulled and distorted, as if she's slipping through the veil of reality into a realm of fragmented memories. Her heart pounds in her chest, its erratic rhythm mirroring her own disarrayed state. The world feels distant and surreal as if she's observing it through a foggy windowpane.