Chapter 26 - The Relic

Christmas is over before it started, and some of her classmates are arriving already. Spending most of the time with Ominis, Riley feels like they have bonded a lot, and Ominis opened up to her about the family. Deciding to keep it a secret, Riley was a bit worried about Black, mainly because of her family pin. Ominis assured her that Black will not say a word, as if he is the reason Ranrok finds out, Gaunt senior will wipe the whole Black family out.

Utilizing the free time she's earned by finishing all the schoolwork early, Riley is on another mission, helping Professor Fig to uncover the mystery of Ranrok and Rookwood. With help from Sirona, Riley is now trying to befriend and earn the trust of a Goblin called Lodgok. She still cannot believe it, but Lodgok seems very friendly and peaceful compared to the goblins she's met.

At noon on New Year's Eve, Riley and Ominis are in the Undercroft, playing chess, waiting for Sebastian to return.

"What a sight. Wouldn't expect the two of you here together" Sebastian's voice echoes through the room and Riley excitedly turns around.

"Sebastian!" Happy to see him after a week or so, she runs towards him and gives him a hug. Hugging her back, he plants a kiss on her cheek.

"How come you two are here..." Sebastian looks around and spots a chess board "...playing wizarding chess?" There is a certain hint of surprise in his voice. He does not know how much you and Ominis have bonded over Christmas.

"Where else would we be, Sebastian?" Ominis asks and looks at the chessboard. "How is Anne?" He adds and Riley grins. She has not confronted Ominis about his possible feelings towards Anne yet.

"She is getting worse. And Solomon is not helping. The situation is dire. If I don't do something soon, it may be too late," Sebastian says in a resolute voice, but his voice quivers a bit. "He is not doing anything. He is letting her suffer," Sebastian moves closer to Ominis and Riley follows, not sure what to say. She knew Anne is not okay, but is it that bad?

"That's..." Ominis tries to keep his voice cool, but it is quivering as well "...not good news."

"Every time I try to explain to him and suggest anything, he just shuts me down. It feels like he does not want her to get better. I don't understand..." Sebastian is getting more and more upset, and Riley is just observing the situation.

"He does not want you to use dark magic. That's all. If we can find the other way..." Ominis starts to talk but Sebastian cuts him off straight away.

"What if there is no other way? She has been cursed by dark magic, and the only way how to cure her is to understand what kind of magic it is. Only then we can use it and lift the curse!" The conversation is getting heated, and Riley is unsure which side she is on. She understands Sebastian's willingness to save his twin sister, but she also understands Ominis' worries about dark magic.

"Please tell me you are not talking about that rotten Relic again..." Ominis is getting worked up as well.

"Ominis, it is Salazar Slytherin's..."

"And that is exactly what worries me the most. It is Salazar Slytherin we are dealing with!" Now it is Ominis who cuts off Sebastian.

"I know you are worried because of your family, but Salazar Slytherin actually encouraged teaching Dark Magic at Hogwarts. He believed students should be prepared to use Dark Magic when necessary - not to fear it. That's why we had to use the Crucio to gain access to the Scriptorium. And there is this reference to the Relic, which grants the holder the power to reverse Dark Magic curses, at least from what I can tell" Sebastian is trying to explain his point to Ominis, but Ominis starts to pace up and down the room, unconvinced.