Chapter 56 - O.W.L.s

There are so many things on Riley's mind, but now it's not the time. Now she needs to focus. It's just another exam. She knows all of this. Now she needs to write it down. If she doesn't, her future is ruined, and there are no prospects. Defence Against the Dark Arts is a core subject for whatever she decides to pursue. Whether it is her original plan of being an Unspeakable, a backup Curse-breaker, or an Auror, which she is not that fond of. Defence is the core one no matter what the future holds. She needs to ace it the same way she aced Herbology. When she saw the question yesterday on her exam about Chinese Chomping Cabbages, she laughed. And she knows the answer to this question as well. This is her strongest subject! She was revising this exact question yesterday evening in the Library with Erin, Ominis, and Sebastian. Yet somehow there are other things coming to her mind from that evening.

"Is that the necklace I gave you?" Sebastian asks out of nowhere and shivers run down her spine when his finger gently touches her neck. It almost tickles when he touches her and Riley quickly smacks his hand. She can see a grin on Erin's face and the look she gives her is 'told you so'.

"Yes, it is. Can we focus on revision instead of my neck now?" Riley tries to sound as quiet and calm as possible but does not even look Erin's way.

"Hm. Interesting..." Sebastian says in his classic voice and goes back to studying, while Riley just wants to scream and shout. 

"You have excellent taste in necklaces, Sebastian. Too bad it's not the same with your life choices," Ominis says from behind the book and both, Riley and Erin are suppressing laughs. Riley almost chokes as she's holding her hand to her mouth. There is a small smile on Sebastian's face as he shakes his head.

"I'm glad we're friends again, Ominis," Sebastian says and goes back to studying, while Riley and Erin are trying their best not to burst out laughing.

All goes too well and too easily, up until the last question, which gets Riley thinking again. Name one unforgivable curse and explain why it's unforgivable. She's experienced seeing all of them. Getting Crucio'd twice, once by Sebastian, once by Rookwood, was not a nice experience. Although she needs to admit there was a massive difference. Intentions really do matter. She saw Sebastian Imperio the goblin and made him end themselves, and also Sebastian using Avada Kedavra on Solomon. Thinking back, she should consider herself lucky. Out of the three living beings Sebastian used Unforgivable Curse on, she's the only one alive. Maybe he really does care about her.

Feeling very good about the theoretical bit, Riley leaves the room smiling, getting ready for the practical bit in the afternoon. And then one more day and one more exam, which is Potions. One last exam and it's over. But it is the one she's fearing the most, mainly because of Professor Sharp's words to her.

"You need to focus on your studies now! Your love life can wait. Get your head sorted and stop focusing on real life for a bit, focus on the exams and studies. I have such high expectations, that if you do not get Outstanding on your O.W.L. you may as well return to Durmstrang, as I will not accept you to my N.E.W.T. class. I usually accept Exceeds Expectations if there is potential, but you need to ace it. I expect perfection, nothing less. And for Merlin's sake, stop ruining my lunch and talk to me after the class instead. Get out!" Professor Sharp yells at Riley as she is running for the door. All she wanted is to check if there is any progress with Azkaban, and she gets yelled at. Maybe she should start focusing more on exams. Her study date with Garreth ended up with them brainstorming new potions instead of studying. But what is there to study? She knows it all. She knows how to brew every potion from the textbook and what the ingredients do, what else is she supposed to study?