Chapter 10 - Study Date

It's Saturday evening and Riley is still lost in her thoughts from earlier on. She skipped lunch, as she was not feeling hungry at all, and rather went for a walk. To clear her mind a bit, and to recap what has happened.

As much as she hoped to see Sebastian during dinner, he was nowhere to be seen, neither was Ominis. But then again, Riley had an early meal with Erin and Amit, and are on their way to the Astronomy Tower. Professor Hecat gave them permission to stay there as long as they want to. 

Now, Riley is sitting on the blanket with a telescope from Amit, fully aware she is behind on homework compared to those two. Luckily, both Amit and Erin help her to catch up, and what seemed to be a boring session of stargazing is now a lively conversation. 

Making sure the enchanted parchment is under the one she uses for homework, Riley is trying her best to focus on the stars, not on Sebastian. But it seems impossible. At least twice a minute Riley sneakily peeks at the parchment, hoping for something to appear there. She is not sure what she's expecting, how to move forward, and if Sebastian is feeling the same. Maybe he interpreted that brief moment differently. But why did he give her that smile then? And why did he look at his feet, almost like he was being shy? That is not the Sebastian she knows. Does she even know him? 

Half-listening to what Erin and Amit are saying, Riley gives another sneak peek, and her heart almost jumps out of her chest. 

"Ominis is being exceptionally stubborn and difficult. But he has calmed down. You are, of course, more than welcome to visit the Undercroft to practice at any time. Just don't tell anyone." The parchment reads and Riley is beyond excited to see that he is contacting her.

"We can go if you're that cold," Amit says and Riley looks at him, puzzled. 

"Huh?" She barely makes a sound, her mind is elsewhere.

"You are shivering" Amit points at her and Erin nods in agreement.

"I am okay. Anyway, I'm almost done. Would be a shame to stop now and postpone it for another day" Riley says in a matter-of-fact tone and goes back to the parchment, figuring out what to write.

"Thank you. Compared to Ominis, doing homework in the freezing cold on the top of Astronomy Tower with an over-enthusiastic stargazer seems like a fun night." Riley writes back suddenly realizing she still needs to finish the History of Magic homework. She really should be focusing on finishing her homework before getting completely distracted. Now she can add Astronomy to the pile. 

"Is it only you and Amit Thakkar?" Words appear on parchment.

"Erin as well." She writes back and takes the telescope, looking at the sky, pretending to work on her essay.

"Will not disturb you then." Sebastian writes and Riley scowls at the parchment. Time for more recklessness.

"You are not a disturbance. A mere distraction, perhaps" She grins, writing, fully aware that no progress on homework will be done today.

"Welcomed distraction I hope." 

"I will tell you tomorrow when I realize how much homework has been left unfinished." Riley chuckles as she writes, forgetting she is not alone.

"Fancy meeting in the Library after lunch to finish it?" After reading that, Riley is now excitedly tapping her fingers on the floor.

"Maintaining focus in the silent Library sounds like progress." She writes back and starts to breathe faster and faster, feeling as joyful as ever.

"Are you getting delirious?" Erin asks and starts leaning towards her. Riley quickly swaps parchments and looks at Erin, grinning. 

"Are you both finished already?" Riley is now looking at her friends, and both of them nod their heads.