Chapter 47 - Jealousy and Detention

"Sebastian, can we talk?"  Riley whispers as she rushes to him the moment the Charms class starts, as he finally appears.

"I thought you were done with me," Sebastian says wild a mild surprise, but the anger that used to be in his voice before is gone. He sounds genuinely surprised and a bit relieved that Riley is talking to him.

"I said that, but I can't ignore the fact that we need to sort things out," Riley whispers, but Professor Ronen starts to talk, so she shuts up and listens to him. He wants them to practice the spells most likely to appear during their exams, and he splits the class into several groups. Most of them are groups of four, but Riley is the only one in the group of five, with Sebastian, Ominis, Erin, and to her utter displeasure, Cecelia.

"Ah, an odd number. How fitting. Come with me, I would like a word," Professor Ronen gives Riley a sympathetic smile. Confused, Riley nods. What does he want from her?

As she separates from the group, Professor Ronen gives instructions for basic spellcasting, including Accio and Depulso, and lowers his voice.

"How are you doing?" Professor Ronen asks Riley, who just shrugs her shoulders.

"I don't even know. I'm trying to keep myself busy, so I do not need to think about anything, just focus on O.W.L.s," Riley says and takes a deep breath, trying to control her emotions. She can feel her eyes watering, but she tries her best to hide it and fight it.

"It must be difficult. I know you and Elezear were close and worked together a lot. It is never easy to lose a friend and a mentor, but you're holding up better than anyone could have expected. You are making us all proud here at Hogwarts," Professor Ronen smiles and Riley is caught a bit off guard, as she was not expecting it. She and Professor Ronen barely speak. He tried to involve her in his Summoners Court, but Riley decided not to join, as she had more important things to do.

"It's not easy, but I'm trying," Riley answers and it all feels so weird. Not even two weeks ago everything seems to be going so well. Her mentor was still alive, and she used to have a boyfriend. Now she's got nothing but nightmares and flashbacks. Completely petrified every time she realizes she needs to walk past her deceased mentor's classroom is causing Riley more and more anxiety.

"Did Aesop give you any potion?" Professor Ronen asks and Riley is a bit surprised by how he talks with her. Not like a professor and student, more like colleagues. 

"Yes, but they do not seem to work very well," Riley admits.

"With everything you've been through, I am not surprised. But talk to him during the next class, he knows better and stronger potions than those recommended by the matron," Professor Ronen smiles at her and Riley nods in understanding. Will it be weird to talk to Sharp? They have fought, side by side, and if she's not mistaken, it was he who carried her broken body to the Hospital Wing.

"I will do. Thank you, Professor," Riley says and looks around. Everyone is practising, but Sebastian is occasionally looking Riley's way, intrigued by what's happening. On the other hand, Cecelia is giving her death stares.

"There is one neat little charm I have invented and I would like to teach it to you. It creates a white noise only the caster can hear, and it stimulates the brain and helps to calm down when needed, and also can help to focus. Thought you may make good use of it," Professor Ronen looks at Riley, and she nods. 

"That would be amazing. And you invented it? That is admirable, Professor," Riley looks at him. Why is she so surprised to hear that he invented a spell himself? After almost a year in his class and the fight with Ranrok when he helped, she should not be surprised at all. He is very skilled.