Chapter 50 - Godric's Hollow

"Welcome to the outskirts of Godric's Hollow, where your grandmother, Lydia Peverell used to live before she had moved in with your grandfather," Wemby says when they are standing on a small hill overlooking a beautiful, small village.

The house next to them reminds Riley of a harmonious blend of quaint cottage charm and the elegant grandeur of a small mansion. The house fits with the village. Even if it is on the outskirts, it seems like a part of the village itself. The massive rustic oak door with wrought iron accents catches Riley's attention straight away. The knocker is the Peverell symbol, a little triangle with a circle and line within it. 

"It's beautiful," Riley says when she looks around and notices a small, tranquil pond with a stone bridge and a garden full of flowers. 

"Wemby always preferred it to the Gaunt's mansion. That's why Wemby was stationed to keep the house safe and clean. Wemby has been here since, waiting for an heir to arrive. And Wemby was very excited to be contacted by Mortimer Gaunt to be informed there is an heir indeed. Wemby liked your father a lot, and his wife as well. They stopped here for summer a lot. Wemby even remembers meeting you, and is very happy to see you have not changed," Wemby says with a smile on her face and her big eyes are watery.     

Feeling a bit uneasy, Riley smiles back and keeps looking around. Memories are coming back and her breath is more and more shallow. She remembers playing here, near that pond. She remembers Mum and Dad, happy, alive.

"Wemby, what exactly happened?" Riley asks as she is heading towards the small bridge, where she sits down. She is not ready to go inside the house yet. 

"Wemby knows that it wasn't Magnus Gaunt who summoned the goblins, but rather his brother, Marvolo, now known as Marvolo Senior. You see, he and his little son, Marvolo Junior, had their eyes set on the family ring. They believed that by possessing it, they could prove their prestigious lineage as both descendants of Slytherins and Peverells. Mister Mortimer held a different perspective. He knew that the true Peverell connection resided within your family. After the passing of his wife, your direct grandfather's sister, the ring was rightfully passed down to your father, much to the displeasure of Marvolo Senior. He was not happy about it and tried to hire goblins to steal it for him. Marvolo Senior is not a smart person. He should have known goblins would keep it from themselves. But they did not have the chance to steal it at all because right when goblins killed your parents, your powers defeated them completely. It was an extraordinary magic. Sadly, it took not only the lives of all but one goblin there, but the family house collapsed completely," Wemby starts explaining and Riley just sits there, staring at the pond.

"I am sure I saw Magnus Gaunt in my memories," Riley tries to concentrate as hard as possible, but there is no need for it because Wemby explains it all.

"Magnus and Marvolo Senior may not be twins, but they look very identical. Even their voices sound the same to everyone but those closest to them. Mortimer rushed to the scene immediately, followed by those two. One remaining goblin said it was his son who hired them. Mortimer killed the goblin and used the Cruciatus curse on both of his sons until they talked. Magnus Gaunt did not know anything, but Marvolo Senior admitted it. He admitted everything," Wemby says with watery eyes and Riley sits there, shocked. Her memories must be properly messed up. It all makes sense, but there are still a lot of questions.

"What happened to Marvolo Senior?" Riley asks Wemby, still staring at the pond.

"He experienced the full wrath of Mortimer Gaunt. He and his family were banished. But the ring disappeared with them. Wemby thinks they did manage to steal it. It was not pretty what happened. Wemby has never seen anyone punish their own son the way Mortimer Gaunt did. Wemby does not think that part of the family will ever return. They will stay hidden. At least while Mortimer is alive," Wemby continues and Riley just keeps nodding.