Chapter 11 - Feelings

After their little study date in the library, Riley can feel things have changed a bit between her and Sebastian. They talk a bit more after and before the classes, and even Ominis seems to be warming up to her. However, that may be thanks to Riley's small sessions of History of Magic explanations after every class.

Since the Undercroft and the Library, Riley has been almost waiting for an opportunity to be with Sebastian alone, but there always seems to be someone else involved. But that does not stop Riley from noticing what Erin's been saying to her for the past few weeks. Sebastian is looking at her during the classes more than at other people, but every time she looks back at him, he smiles at her and looks somewhere else straight away. And in all fairness, Riley is doing the same. 

There are many times she finds herself staring at him, and quickly looking elsewhere when he notices. And it seems like few people may have noticed. Riley keeps seeing some of her classmates always whispering when she speaks with Sebastian, but she is ignoring it. 

September is over and the second round of Crossed Wands is getting closer and closer. When it hits Friday afternoon and the classes end, Riley makes her way towards Sebastian, ignoring a few girls giggling, and a death stare from mainly Slytherins, especially the girl from Crossed Wands.

"What is the plan?" Riley whispers, not wanting to be overheard.

"I hoped you can meet me later so we can talk about your favourite thing, strategy. Maybe practice some spells," Sebastian says and Riley's heart keeps beating faster and faster. 

"If it's where I think it is, don't blast it to smithereens there, please" She hears Ominis saying as he grabs his books and leaves, leaving Riley and Sebastian alone. This is one of the very rare moments, as it seems they cannot find a time to hang out, just the two of them, anymore. 

"Come on, Sebastian. You promised to go over charms before evening. Before Common Room gets busy. Remember last time, don't you?" The girl from Slytherin joins the conversation and lets out a coquettish laugh, completely ignoring Riley is even there. "Although, what happens in the Common Room stays in the Common Room. Sure it's the same for Ravenclaw" She adds, giggling, acknowledging Riley with a sly smile.

There was never a time when Riley hoped more for her to be the second opponent tonight, and to blast her to smithereens. Not wanting to hear or see more of her, Riley just turns around and leaves the room. What were they doing in Slytherin's Common Room? And what are they up to when she's not there? Is she being jealous? But Sebastian is her friend, nothing more. Could it be that he acts so flirtatious towards the other girl as well, and Riley's just never noticed?

Her good mood from earlier on is gone, and Riley is almost running down the stairs. When she stops, to catch her breath, she can see a lot of people walking around, laughing. Seems like everyone's done for the week. Leaning on the railing she spots Sebastian and the girl on their way to the Dungeons. They cannot see her, as she is half-hidden in the shadow. 

"He may not admit it, but he is very fond of you," Riley hears from behind her but does not turn around. She does not want anyone to see her like this. Distressed and upset. 

"And many others," Riley adds, trying to sound casual.

"He is my oldest friend. He may be able to fool everyone else, but not me. And trust me, except for Anne you are the only girl that is significant to him," Ominis says and continues on his way, leaving Riley on her own.

"Ominis, wait!" Riley shouts after him and she can see him stopping midway through the stairs and letting out a loud sigh. But he comes back.

"I'm listening..." He says, patiently.