Chapter 35 - Unspeakable

"Do I even need any O.W.L.s to run a pub? Maybe I can be Sirona's aide," Ominis says, exasperated, as he starts banging his head against the desk in the Library.

"At least we're in it together," Sebastian says as he's finishing his homework. They both have had a chat with their head of house about the future, but Riley is still waiting. She is the last one on Professor Hecat's list, but the time is almost there. 

"Why did I say auror, I should have just said I want to live in Hogsmeade and tell boring stories to students," Ominis sighs and Riley laughs. 

"Time to go, see you later," Riley says and gives Sebastian a kiss on the cheek and pats Ominis on his head as she leaves towards Professor Hecat's office. Unsure what to expect, she knocks on the door and enters, greeted by Professor. After a few minutes of chat, Riley feels more confident.

"I am surprised you haven't considered being Curse-Breaker for Gringotts," Professor says and Riley looks at the leaflet from the Ministry. "You have an aptitude for that and you already meet all their expectations."

"It is an option, but not my primary choice," Riley says and plays with the leaflets. The one she is most interested in is not there.

"I don't believe you are considering being an Auror like your friends, are you?" Professor asks and Riley gives her a tired smile.

"I'm not. There is absolutely nothing that sounds even remotely fun. Especially after seeing what Officer Singer does. So many rules to follow, and no freedom. That is not for me. You know there is someone who is terrorizing wizards and beasts and goblins and everything that comes their way, yet you cannot do anything about it. No evidence is enough. You cannot act because it is not what the procedure is. Why would someone consider it?" Riley says, perhaps a bit more passionately than she should have, but Professor Hecat smiles at her knowingly. 

"What is it that you want the most?" She asks Riley and she takes a deep breath, looking Professor in the eyes.

"I would love to follow in your footsteps. I would love to teach at some point. But firstly I am really intrigued by what you did. Being an Unspeakable," Riley says maintaining eye contact. Professor Hecat is very difficult to read.

"Why is that?" Professor asks her and Riley grins.

"I find myself irresistibly drawn to the world of study and research. There's an elusive mystery that shrouds it all, an enigma that I'm determined to unravel. I've always been good at being elusive myself, and I'm sure plenty of people have noticed that by now. It's the secrets of magic, the ones surrounding Death and Thought in particular, that truly captivate me. There's so much that remains hidden, so much to be discovered. I yearn to contribute to the knowledge and research in this area, to shed light on what remains unknown," As she finishes speaking, Professor Hecat's expression remains inscrutable, leaving Riley to wonder if her words have sparked any curiosity or suspicion.

"You seem to know quite a lot for leaflets from the Department of Mysteries not being here," Professor says and Riley grins again.

"Yet you don't seem surprised I have the knowledge, Professor," Riley replies and keeps maintaining eye contact. 

"As much as there is a lot of exhilaration, there is a lot of danger involved. But you seem to be doing particularly well in that area. It did not escape me that your escapades with Professor Fig may not be only for educational and mentoring purposes," Professor Hecat pierces her with her eyes, but Riley holds eye contact.

"Do you think I have what it takes?" Riley asks simply and tries her best to remain calm and confident.

"Looking at your grades and evaluations from your Professors, including me, you have the academic background needed. You may look into the Ancient Runes, as they are necessary knowledge. For both Death and Thought," Riley nods as Professor Hecat speaks.