Chapter 9 - Undercroft

When Riley wakes up and realizes it's Saturday, she feels relieved. Nothing is planned, and almost all the homework is done. Should be a good weekend. But then she remembers what happened yesterday. Library. Peeves. Sebastian. 

"Come on, let's get some breakfast," Erin throws a pillow at Riley, who is still lying in bed.

"I don't want to," Riley mumbles as she is dreading the Great Hall.

"Is this because of Peeves? Riley, listen, for what everyone knows, you were with Fig! If anything, Sebastian is going to get all the heat and questioning, not you. Now get your ass out of bed!" Erin's voice is now very stern, it's like she is scolding her. 

"That's not it. I'm worried to face Sebastian. What if he never speaks with me again?" Riley is slowly getting out of bed, looking visibly upset.

"Why would that be? You're being silly now. You have five minutes and we're leaving!" Erin's voice is still stern, and Riley feels like this is not the best time to argue with her or anger her. Hungry Erin is not a pleasant Erin.

Pretending to search her bag for something, Riley quickly glances at the enchanted parchment and sees there is something on it. She starts to get ready, and the moment Erin leaves the room she snatches the parchment out of the bag, anxiety and excitement spreading through her body at the same time.

"Meet me after breakfast" The words read and Riley is staring at them, perplexed. Meet him for what? Does he want to tell her not to speak with him again? Or maybe he wants to know what happened yesterday? There are so many options, and Riley suddenly feels her stomach twisting and turning. And it's not because of the lack of food in it.

Securing parchment back in her bag, Riley quickly gets dressed and puts her hair in a simple ponytail. If she leaves Erin waiting any longer, she may eat her for breakfast. Maybe that would solve all the trouble...

As they are about to enter the Great Hall, Riley takes a deep breath, and Erin notices.

"You really are crushing hard, aren't you?" Erin gives her a little smirk and Riley goes all red.

"No, of course not. He's a friend. Well, hopefully, he still considers me a friend as well." Riley whispers as if anyone is listening to their conversation. 

"Whatever you say..." Erin's voice is a bit more bored, and the moment they enter the Great Hall, Riley's eyes find Slytherin's table. 

She can spot Sebastian straight away, talking with Ominis and a few other Slytherins. When he looks at the door and sees Riley, he gives her a small, almost shy smile and goes back to talking to Ominis. Riley can feel her stomach filled with butterflies, flying around happily. That is not the face of someone who hates you.

"Yeah. Definitely wants nothing to do with you, Riley" Erin says in the most condescending tone she can master, and before Riley can nudge her or say anything, another voice is echoing through the Hall.

"Riley, Erin, over here!" It's Amit, waving at them with too much enthusiasm.

"How can someone be this energetic so early on in the morning," Erin says in a low voice and lets out an exasperated sigh. 

After breakfast, Amit and Erin are making plans to play some wizarding chess in the Common Room, but Riley leans to Erin the moment they leave the Great Hall.

"I have a very awkward conversation to have. See you later" Riley mumbles and Erin gives her an encouraging smile. She really is a different person after she eats. 

Riley leaves them and walks up the opposite staircase, where there are a lot of small armchairs and several paintings. As she is examining them, she can hear someone walking towards her. Riley takes a deep breath and turns around. It is, as she suspected, Sebastian.