Chapter 49 - Gaunt's visit

When it finally hits Friday, Riley is still unsure how she's managed to get through the week. Every time she was about to have an anxiety attack, she conjured that white noise around and it helped. She has also asked Professor Sharp for more potions.

Spending every single spare moment trying to conjure a Patronus is occupying Riley's mind, but it is also not leading anywhere. Not much more than a white smoke has happened, but Riley is still determined. She will not give up that easily. She's only been practising for four days. 

Everyone seems to be heading out after classes, as the weather outside is beautiful. Riley's already overheard a few conversations about Three Broomsticks and Hogsmeade, but she's planning to spend the evening practising Patronus Charm. She's been invited by several people to go to Hogsmeade, but she's not feeling it. The last time she went there, she was snatched by Rookwood. That memory is still very fresh. Even though it's been over a week now, Riley is happier in the safety of the castle. 

"Is that him? Is it Gaunt? He seems even scarier than described," A voice says close to Riley and she sighs. When will people calm down and realize Ominis is not scary?

"Is that his own house elf? Why does that not surprise me," Another voice says and Riley is now paying a bit more attention. Since when does Ominis have his own house elf? Why didn't he tell her? Did he not want her to judge him? How was he able to hide an elf, anyway? Something doesn't sound right.

As Riley is walking down the stairs, there are more and more people whispering, and when she realizes why, she stops in the middle of the stairs. The scenery unfolding is not what she was expecting.

Headmaster Black is standing there, visibly uncomfortable, and next to him is a figure Riley only remembers from her memories. Tall, blond, and a bit chubby, with sleek hair and piercing eyes. Magnus Gaunt, Ominis' father. And next to him is a small house elf, whose eyes go wide the moment Riley looks that way. It's like the elf has recognised her.

"Riliegh Peverell. About time we meet again. Black, your office. Now!" Magnus Gaunt barks at the headmaster while keeping his cold eyes on Riley. There is no warm welcome or happy reunion. It all feels very cold. 

"Yes. Sure," Black mutters and all of them are heading upstairs, Riley curiously exchanging looks with the house elf. She seems familiar, but Riley is not sure why. When they reach the headmaster's office, Magnus Gaunt grabs Riley by the shoulders and looks her up and down.

"True to the family name. Getting rid of that dirt Victor Rookwood and bloody goblins. Well done," Gaunt says towards Riley and loosens his grip, so Riley can set herself free.

"You are the reason why my memories are shattered," Riley says, coldly, staring at him, getting straight to the point.

"For your own good," Gaunt barks at her and Riley is standing there, staring at him, not saying anything. Even Black seems to have respect, so it is very unwise to start arguing.

"Why are you here?" Riley asks after a few seconds of silence and there is a grin on Magnus Gaunt's face. It is not a pleasant one, although the effort is there. Ominis is definitely more like his mother rather than him.

"To welcome you back to the family, answer all the questions and return what is rightfully yours," His smile seems forced, and Riley cannot figure out why. Is it because he is not used to smiling and being nice, or is there something sinister behind that smile? Something's telling her it's the first one, but she is still not letting her guard down. Being in the office with Gaunt and Black is not really the most pleasant setting.

"Go on then," Riley says in her best stern voice. Do not show any weakness. Do not fidget as Black does.

"Phineas, if you wouldn't mind," Magnus Gaunt looks at Black with the same, forced smile and points towards the door. Exactly what power Gaunt has over Black is unknown to Riley, but Black is leaving his own office with a forced smile, whispering something under his breath.