Chapter 55 - Sharp's suspicion

When it finally hits Friday, Riley is excited for the weekend full of studying with no adventures planned. This is what she needs, as O.W.L.s are around the corner. Thankfully, all seems normal between her and Sebastian, and it feels like the very first days when they used to hang out. Heading for lunch, Riley suddenly realizes this may be the last moment she can talk to Sharp about her plan before the exams hit them, and heads for the Dungeons instead.

Almost running, Riley is now standing in front of Potions Classroom, trying to catch her breath. Her face is red and sweaty, because for some reason if she did not run like a maniac, Professor Sharp would disappear for good. When she can freely breathe again without panting, she straightens herself and attempts to take a deep breath before knocking on the door.

When she knocks, she can hear a loud annoyed sigh and footsteps slowly approaching. As Professor Sharp reaches the door, he opens them with force and stares at who is disturbing him. When he notices Riley, he rolls his eyes and motions her to follow.

"You know, I am dealing with students all day during classes, and then with all the temper and teenage angst in the Slytherin Common Room after. Why cannot I enjoy those few blissful moments during lunch without anyone bothering me, Peverell?" He says in an annoyed voice, but as he invited her in, Riley steps into the classroom and Professor shuts the door behind her.

"I'm sorry to disturb you, but I wanted to talk to you in private," Riley says in the most polite voice and follows Sharp as he is heading towards his office.

"And there is not enough time after class, is there?" Professor Sharp says grudgingly, but Riley just smiles. If he really did not want to talk to her, he wouldn't invite her in.

"I wanted to make sure no one overhears us. And there are some people listening into conversations, and this is not the one I want them to overhear," Riley stands in front of his desk as he stands on the other side, looking at her, intrigued.

"Spit it out then," Professor Sharp says, not breaking the eye contact.

"After everything that happened this year, and after all the encouragement from you, I really do trust you, so I ho..." Riley starts to talk but Sharp interrupts her.

"Cut the flattery and get to the point!"

"Okay, okay! I need your help to either get in touch with Officer Singer or to help me get to Azakaban to speak with Victor Rookwood as soon as possible," Riley retorts and Professor Sharp raises his eyebrows.

"And why is that? A pleasant catch-up with someone who kidnapped and tortured you is not what is going on, is it?" Professor Sharp keeps eye contact, but Riley does not stumble. She keeps staring back with the best poker face possible.

"I need some information from him that can help," Riley says cautiously, making sure not to break eye contact.

"Be honest if you want my help," Professor Sharp says and Riley sighs.

"Alright. He did cast a certain unknown curse and I need to know what curse it was, so I can see if there is a way to reverse it. And before you doubt my abilities, I have four very skilled wizards who offered their help, one of them being Rookwoods ancestor and one being ex-headmistress, and it was actually their idea," Riley tries to word everything in one go, she's got a feeling there is only one chance with Sharp, and she does not want to blow it.

"I saw you take down several goblins and a troll, I don't doubt your abilities," Professor Sharp says in the same voice, still staring at Riley.

"Can you help?" Riley asks straight away, praying to Merlin he says yes.

"Is this to do with Anne Sallow?" Professor asks and Riley's heart drops. How does he know?

"Yes," She answers, trying her best to keep a poker face and eye contact.