Chapter 37 - Up the mountain

"Nothing pleasant about this coast," Sebastian says quietly when they arrive at Marunweem, and even though Riley is still very upset and angry, she has to agree. It is almost night, and to make things worse, she can hear some voices in the distance. Goblins. 

Giving Sebastian a very stern look, she uses the Disillusionment charm, and he follows. Listening to few of the goblins passing by, Riley realizes they are, once again, one step ahead of her. When they leave, Sebastian moves closer to Riley.

"How are they still one step ahead of us? They can't know about the Triptych," He says, annoyed, and Riley shrugs. 

"I don't know. The last memory I saw was Niamh Fitzgerald's. She was unnerved by Isidora's use of ancient magic. But I still can't be sure how any of it connects to Ranrok," Riley says and she can see Sebastian is getting more and more restless.

"These Keepers are playing games with you. You need to press them for more information," He says and Riley takes a deep breath. After the last trial, Sebastian witnessed the state she was in. How could she press for more? They would not tell her. They have their own procedures, seems like. 

"It doesn't work like that. To access each of these memories, I have to complete a trial. It's not as easy as you think. I have told you everything I know, Sebastian, and they are showing me the memories in a particular order," Riley says patiently.

"Ugh. Either they don't trust you or you can't care enough about Anne to ask the difficult questions!" Sebastian almost snaps at her, and Riley is reconsidering her previous decision. She should have left him with Solomon.

"I do care about Anne. That's why I talked Ominis out of trying to stop you. But to be fair, I am tired of explaining myself. Perhaps we should part ways," Riley looks at him and crosses her hands. This is not the Sebastian she knows. But then again, does she really know him? Ominis has warned her.

"That's - that's not what I meant. I - we're just not getting answers. I need answers. For Anne. We have the relic, but we also need this," Sebastian's voice changes abruptly and he sounds more worried. Maybe he still cares.

"I know. Let's see why the Triptych led us there," Riley lets her hands down and starts walking towards the mountain, while Sebastian follows her. Narrowly avoiding a small camp, they are moving quickly towards what Sebastian has recognised on the previous canvas. There is a fluttering of wings and Riley looks up. Thestrals are flying above them and she smiles. They are beautiful creatures. And very misunderstood.

"Thestrals overhead. Some consider them a bad omen," Sebastian says and Riley rolls her eyes. After everything they've been through, and after actually riding one together, this comment seems really out of place.

"Hmm. Not everyone does," Riley replies and continues on her way up.

"I know that," Sebastian says in an annoyed voice. 

"All right," Riley replies, annoyed as well.

"I'm making small talk. I'm not going to trek up this mountain in silence," He adds, still in an annoyed voice, and Riley sighs. This is really not how she was expecting this weekend to go. And where did Ominis go? She could only hear Anne and Solomon back in Feldcroft. Is he following them again? If he is, he's doing a good job, because Riley's feeling of someone watching them is absent.

When they reach the small camp with few goblins in it, Riley is ready to cast another Disillusionment on her, but Sebastian seems to have a different idea. He runs towards the camp and starts fighting goblins, and Riley yells in anger. Sending a few Cabbages to help, goblins are soon nowhere to be seen.

"What were you thinking again?!" Riley snaps at Sebastian, her anger palpable as she trembles with frustration. "You could have gotten us killed!" Her breaths are shallow as she speaks.