Chapter 18

As we both enter, everyone in the dining hall looked at us. Armando first broke the silence and called me to sit near him. I was about to sit when a man entered in the hall who looked like in his 70's. He glanced the hall and then finally landed his eyes on me. Then he approached me with a serious expression on his face as if I made some huge mistake. I looked around to see everyone looking at us with a confused expression printed on their faces.

"You little girl, you should take care if yourself." What did this no spring chicken just called me? Little..... I asked myself. So I looked dead in his eyes and said " from which side do I look little to you?" I asked.
He didn't said anything but smirked after few seconds and look at the 5 boys who were watching us as if they have just heard that boys can get pregnant too. I ignored them and looked at the old man again who continued looking between his wife, grandkids and I "well.... I'm glad you are nit like these idiots sitting over here". He said pointing towards the boys. I was so confused but Genoveva and Armando got what he was saying and laughed while boys looked very offended.

"I'm Alford Bendi Barone, head of this family, this beautiful lady's husband, his father (pointing towards Armando) and their Nonno. You can call me Alford cara." He moved his hand for me to shake.
"Nice to meet you Mr. Alford.
Please is all mine cara also thank you for everything you did for my Edwaldo."
I just smiled in return.
"Let's start with breakfast I'm sure you must be hungry.
Yes..... very....."
I now look at the table which is filled with so much food. Are they really going to eat this all? I questioned myself.

Usually I only drink coffee or macchiato i

Usually I only drink coffee or macchiato i.e., is basically espresso and milk foam. But I'm hungry today so I took some scrambled eggs, a croissant and juice. I was eating when Santino asked " Is that all you going to eat?"
Yes......
You should eat more..." while telling me that he took a plate and added some fruits and handed it to me. I took it and started eating because I didn't want to argue right now and then Alford spoke.

"So, Hazel, do you work somewhere?
Yes... I work in a bakery shop near my place.
And when did you started working their? Also you don't look like local Italian. Did you move here?
Ummm.... yes.... actually I moved here to Italy three and half years ago. And it's been almost same time since I started working their.
That's good. Edwaldo was telling me that you live alone. How do you like it so far here?
Ummm.... yes .... I.... live alone. And it's much better than I've expected so far.
That's good.... have you got any chance to visit or travel here so far?
Yes... actually.... I've been to few locations while I was searching for a place here to visit. My best friend showed me few years ago. So, while looking for it I did some travelling. I was in fact their the day I found Edwaldo.
Hmmm.... and what about your best friend?
He died around 5 years ago my orphanage lady told me he got into some car crash.
I'm sorry to hear that."
This whole conversation was going very smoothly. Somehow, after having conversation with Genoveva this morning I felt comfortable talking about my past with Alford but the Orlando part. The last thing bought back some memories, some good memories, and I smiled.
" What happened? Why are you smiling?" Gabrielle asked. I looked at him and said " Nothing just remembered the time when we both use to sneak out off the orphanage at night to gaze stars. We both use to talk about soo many random and stupid things."

"How old were you both? And I didn't though you would be a star gazing type of girl." Said Achille.
"To be honest Achille, even I find it surprising sometimes. But I was very small, I guess 3-4, when I started this habit. I used to look outside the orphanage room window whenever I couldn't sleep. So after some years this habit became a comfort for me."

This time Armando spoke, "That's great. But how do you manage to live with just a bakery job and what about your studies?"
Okay, now these questions got. So, to ease some of my nerves and took the glass of water and started drinking it when all of a sudden dimwit Niccolo spoke that made me choke on my water.
"Oh!..... she is a programmer."