Chapter 26: Cold meets Calculating

Adam's eyes shoot open as he immediately sits up but is stopped as he feels the cold metal of handcuffs locking him to the bed he is lying in. He had no clue how he got here. Last he remembered, he was fighting Blake and her friend Yang when the Bandit Kreel showed up. After that, things went a bit hazy.

From where he was lying, he got a good look at the room. There was a single bed and a small dresser flanked by a nightstand. Leaning on the nightstand was his weapon, Wilt and Blush. Sitting next to it was his mask. Adam desperately tried to reach for Wilt and Blush, but he was too far for any chance, and no items around could help retrieve his weaponry.

As he tried once again to reach his weapon, he stopped as he heard the door that connected to this room open. He glared as, from outside the room, Kreel walked in with a tray of food.

Kreel: "Good, you're awake." He set the tray of food down in front of Adam, who hadn't stopped glaring. "If you are waiting for me to judge you on your nasty scar, you'll be sorely disappointed. Now eat; you've been out for a while."

Kreel waves his hand as the handcuffs unlock. Adam instantly reaches for Wilt and Blush but stops. He tries to reach further but finds his entire body has been frozen still.

Kreel: "Can we not do this right now? If I wanted you dead, I would be done so a great deal of time ago. Are you going to behave yourself, or will I have to starve you to get you to cooperate?"

After a short moment, Adam could move again. But he chose not to reach for his weapon; instead, he relaxed.

Adam: "Where am I?" Kreel stands up and moves to a small panel to the left of the bed, and presses it revealing the outside.

Kreel: "Mantle

Kreel: "Mantle. Just under the floating city of Atlas."

Adam: "Why did you bring me here? Why keep me alive?"

Kreel: "Because Adam, you have something I think no one has ever seen in you. Potential."

Adam: "What do you mean?"

Kreel: "It's no secret you have a talent with that blade of yours. The way you intertwine your semblance with your fighting style is creative and effective. But you hold yourself back. You lack direction. Not to insult, but you truly encapsulate the term "blindly charging like a bull". You could have killed Blake without a second, but because you need to prove a point, you put yourself in a losing position."

Adam: "You don't know that. You don't know anything about me."

Kreel: "And yet. Here you are. I barely used an ounce of my strength against you, and you were knocked out for the last three days. You blind yourself to the situation at hand only because you allow your emotions to dominate your choices. I don't need to know you because everything you are is displayed right before me." Adam looks away as the reality had begun to set in. "Eat. Regain your strength. Then we'll go from there." Kreel stands up as he heads for the door.