Chapter 31: He Knows Something

Chapter 31

"Harry!" I exclaim again to take his attention away from Steve. "This is not what you think Harry please calm down--"

"What the hell Nina? You never called me or texted me back, but you sure as hell been all over the news with this guy!" He yells and points fingers to Steve.

"You're making a scene!" I retaliate. His attention is back towards me since I raised my voice at him. "You wanna have a civilized talk or do you want to keep making a fool of your self?"

He inhales deeply, but still looks mad. "Please Harry..." I softly caress his cheek. His eyes once again leave Steve's, he eyes me and his look softens up. My touch soothed him.

"Fine, only because I love you." He bends down to kiss me, and I know he's doing it on purpose just to show off in front of Steve.

"Stop." I part away from his kiss. "We're talking out here!" I take his arm in a firm grip and lead him outside.

"Who is that!" He said as soon as I shut the door to Steve's apartment.

"Ok, you seriously need to calm down Harry, you're making a huge scene!" I try to shush him.

"And you're blaming me!" He counterfeits, "I'm sorry for caring to damn much about you!" His words hit me like a truck. I gulped and looked down towards the floor. I know in me that it's my fault. "You never text me or call me at least, last time I heard from you was days ago and it wasn't even a proper conversation!" I can already feel my tears forming.

"Harry--" I start to sniff. My emotions are getting the best of me, I finally realize that what I feel for Harry is truly strong. He's the only guy to ever treat me and care for me the way he does, and I feel like a bad girlfriend knowing I was never able to notice and appreciate his love and care for me.

"Nina... Baby..." He wipes away one of my fallen tears from my cheek with his thumb. "I'm--I'm sorry love." He takes me into his arms seeing I was breaking down. I feel his warmth and care, I know he deeply cares for me. After my history with many guys who've used me only to get close to my dads wealth, Harry is one of the most understanding being I've ever met. "It's just that, seeing you with him, whoever he is, it scared me, the fact that I was maybe loosing you was too much..."

The ache in my heart was too much, the guilt, I couldn't take it anymore. I can't keep lying to him, but if I let him go, I'll never be the same again. "I'm truly sorry Harry-- I--I--"

"Shh.." He passed his hand through my hair repeatedly trying to calm me down, but with each stroke the ache in my heart grew. Knowing that I would soon had to let him go, I couldn't think of another way to keep him away from all of the work I was about to do. Most importantly, all of the lies I have conjured. Harry is a good guy, I'm the one who doesn't deserve him. How can I be with him when the other half of me is unknown to him. "Just please tell me what you've been up to?"

I gulped, the lump in my throat was not easy to get rid of. I can't tell him. More lies...

"That's Steve, one of Pepper's nephews new to the city, almost like my cousin you can say, I've just been showing him around." I closed my eyes, he was still stocking my hair and back. I just hope he believed it.

He sighed deeply, "I'm sorry Nina..." I felt him kiss my hair. "I do look pretty stupid now." The ache I'm feeling could only grow bigger as I just lied to him again. "Let me go apologize to him--"

"Harry don't worry about it, it's fine--" He let me go to go back in to Steve's apartment. "Harry!" He was already shaking hands with Steve.

"Nice to meet you Steve, I hear you're one of Pepper's nephew's." Harry was trying to make small talk with Steve. I gasp and look to Steve. He can see my nerves are about to unhinge.

"Yeah, Yeah, I am just in the city visiting, Athena was kind enough to volunteer and show me around." Steve smiles, and I exhale in relief, yet in my mind I smirk. He was eavesdropping.

"Have you been here before?" Harry decides to further in the conversation. I again have a mini heart attack. I look to Steve again alarmed.

"Last time I was here, it was very different, it was so long ago." Steve said casually. I was beginning to think that he could actually pull himself out of any situation.

"How long ago?"

"Ohh it feels like about 70 years ago." Steve went on.

"Okay!" I interrupted. "Harry, I need to bring Steve back to Pepper and help my dad with Stark Tower, I promise I'll talk to you soon okay."

Harry turned back to me smiling, "Duty calls." My eyes widen for a second, but I regain my composure. I feel like he knows more... Duty calls? His eyes, his smile. I take a moment to examine him. His heartbeat grows quicker and I see him gulp. He's hiding something. It shocks me, but I can't loose my cover.

"You know how my dad gets when I'm fashionably late, and if he finds out it was you who stalled me, you've lost 10 points on the 'Make Tony Stark like me goals'." I casually put in, gaining my cover back.

He whines, yet I know it's an act, "You're dad is very hard to please baby." He walks over to me to kiss me tenderly, again in front of Steve. I can feel Steve feeling mighty uncomfortable. "It was nice to meet you Steve." Harry had stop kissing me to nod towards Steve. "When you get a chance, please call me ok." He pecked my lips and smiled and nodded. I led him out of Steve's apartment to go outside. His Audi was parked in front of the building. Once again, I had a feeling reeling in my gut. Harry knows something, and I know he just didn't drop here by coincidence.

"I'll talk to you soon." I reached in to kiss him, when he mounted the car.

"I hope so, love you." He smiled.

"Love you too..." I smiled. I at least tried to pull it off. His engine roared into life and he gave me a wink as he sped off. I exhaled in relief and ran back into the building to get Steve. "Steve!"

"Everything okay Athena?" He peered out of a corner.

"Come on we need to go to Stark Tower, something's not right!" I try to hurry.

"What's wrong?" Steve is suddenly concerned.

"I--I don't know, Harry didn't just drop by coincidence, I feel he knows something." I scurry into my apartment to gather my things. Steve quickly follows after me.

"Athena!" He tries getting my attention, but my mind is going crazy trying to make all of these connections. I never saw this coming, but I know SHIELD has nothing to do with it, I'm 100% sure. Someone must've told Harry who I really am or he knows something, I could just feel it, the energy radiating off him was of betrayal. I've lied to him for so many years, I know someone close to me must've told him, unless he's been researching himself, but even that's not possible. "Athena!" Steve stops my hands from gathering anything else and makes me look at him. "Calm down." I focus on Steve's eyes to get my mind to settle. My emotions and powers are in a sky high position. Something's wrong with me.

In the distance, I can hear screams of people, the panic.

The earth was trembling.

•••••••••••••••
Hello my lovelies! I know it's been a while and I could've sworn I had published this late last night but I must've knocked out, but here it is! Ooh! Something is going on here 😏 and don't worry I'll be updating again tomorrow just for you guys! Or in a few days 😘 any predictions? What does Harry know? Who told him? Also I'm going to soon be revealing Athena's parents and all of the characters so I have this IG account just for my fan fics where I post clues and all of that good stuff! Feel free to follow @// NerdAlertzFF I'll be posting who Harry is soon today and maybe some edits soon!

xx Love tall 😘