Chapter 38: Avengers Assemble!

Chapter 38

Phil was dead.

Athena couldn't process the news correctly. She had just seen Phil about 30 minutes ago, and now he's gone. It was all Loki's doing, and Athena wanted revenge. First, Clint was taken and brainwashed, who happened to also attack the hellicarrier to set Loki free, and in the process Phil was killed at Loki's hands. Death had come swiftly for Phil, and it made Athena conscious of a certain god, Thanatos.

Athena wondered if Thanatos even came close to her on his way to collect Phil's soul. Thinking of Thanatos, it made her keen to know if her brothers or sisters were really watching her from Olympus.

All in all, she had to put those thoughts to the side, because duty now called.

Athena, along with Tony and Steve were seated on the table of the command bridge room. Each of them had a somber look, Phil was dear to everyone, especially Director Fury, who was now in front of them.

"These were in Phil Coulson's jacket," Fury spoke up, tossing a couple of trading cards with blood on them to Steve, "I guess he never did get you to sign them. We're dead in the air up here. Our communications, the location of the Cube, Banner, Thor... I got nothing for you. I lost my one good eye. Maybe I had that coming." Athena couldn't help but to look sorrowfully at the director. Her heart ached with each word Fury said, Phil was an irreplaceable agent in his heart, "Yes, we were going to build an arsenal with the Tesseract. I never put all my chips on that number, though because I was playing something even riskier. There was an idea, the Starks' knows this, called the Avengers Initiative. The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable people to see if they could become something more. To see if they could work together when we needed them to, to fight the battles that we never could. Phil Coulson died still believing in that idea. In heroes."

Tony immediately stood up and glanced briefly at his daughter, before finally leaving the bridge. Athena watched as he left, she knew he would also have a hard time with Phil's death.

"Well, it's an old-fashioned notion..."

Athena rose from her seat, letting the words of Director Fury sink in. Steve eyed her cautiously, until she finally decided to leave as well. She searched for Tony, and found him by his suit, that was left heavily damaged.

"Hey..." she approached her dad slowly, and leaned against a door frame with her arms crossed.

"I'm sorry," Tony said.

Athena was taken aback slightly, "for what?"

"As you're dad, I make your life a little harder, you're always apologizing on my behalf, and embarrassed at times and—"

"Dad, no stop—"

"Let me finish, please," Tony approached Athena and stood in front of her, "you're everything I've ever wanted in a daughter, and I'm sorry that I make your life difficult at times, and I promise to apologize and behave with all of your team mates, and I'm also sorry for Phil, I uh—I know he meant a lot to you."

"Why—why are you telling me this now?"

"Because it's you who has the means to lead this team, not me, it's you and capsicle."

"You think so?"

"Yeah, but not in outfit, come here," Tony led the way to a nearby display containing a suit, but not just any suit, it was Athena's, and she gasped seeing the delicacy of it.

A suit fit for the Godess of Wisdom and Battle strategy, reminiscent of her Greek background.

The body suit was white with gold. The boots were also golden with white. It was indeed Greek reminiscent. It was for the goddess herself to wear when going into battle. Along with a golden spear.