Chapter 23: The Androids

Just as Goku and the others flew their way back home, Tengoku was in a horrible condition because of the heart virus. They arrived at where Bulma and her infant son Trunks were at. Goku quickly landed and ran towards her as he carried Tengoku in his arms. Raditz followed his brother as he was worried about Tengoku's well-being.

"Bulma! We need your help!" Goku cried out.

"Oh, God! What happened?" Bulma asked, worried.

"Tengoku has the heart virus," Goku revealed.

"What!?" Bulma asked in shock.

Then Future Trunks appeared when he heard what happened. Of course, Future Trunks had arrived in no time to help out the others after saving Bulma and her baby from death. Future Trunks was angry that Vegeta, the one closest to them, did not seem to notice nor care about the life-threatening danger Bulma and the baby were subjected to. Future Trunks had confronted him, demanding to know why he did not try to save Bulma and his son.

Vegeta spitefully replied, "I have more important things to worry about than that foolish woman and her blasted child!" And continued to look around for the Android, angry that he was able to disappear from sight again.

After that, he had a shocked look on his face when he never expect to see Tengoku suffering.

"No... This can't be! I thought Goku is the only one who will die! She can't have a heart virus!" Future Trunks said, scared.

"Raditz, do you still have a heart medication? Please there are still more left!" Bulma pleaded with him.

Raditz brought out a bottle of heart medication before saving Tengoku's life, but he suddenly shook it and realized it ran out.

"It's gone," Radtz said.

They gasped.

"Oh, no... This is bad..." Future Trucks said, panicked.

"No! I can't lose Tenny! I can't lose her the same way I had lost Grandpa!" Goku cried out as he embraced his daughter, his tears streaming down his face.

"Not even we can't lose her the same way we lost Mom and Dad, Kakarot," Raditz said as his eyes filled up with tears.

Goku looked at his older brother with a sorrowful look on his face.

"What are we gonna tell Chichi about this? She's going to be furious when she finds out." Bulma asked, now feeling scared when Chichi will find out about Tengoku, she'll go berserk.

"We'll just tell her that it was just a heart virus after she was defeated," Raditz said.

"Are you serious? Are you going to tell Chichi that her little girl has a heart virus before she'll pass? Raditz, we need to find a way to save her!" Bulma argued.

"We don't have a choice! If we didn't have Chichi's help, Tenny will die! I don't know if Chichi's cooking will help her get rid of the heart virus or not! Let's just go home!" Raditz argued back.

Bulma sighed in defeat. "Fine. You boys go ahead while we wait for the Z Fighters to arrive."

Before they do, Bulma recalled seeing Dr. Gero's picture in one of her father's science magazines, revealing that Android 20 was actually Dr. Gero and that he rebuilt himself into an Android as his human body became older and weak. Bulma also remembered reading about the location of Dr. Gero's laboratory, just north of North City.

"Actually, I'm going to find the others while you and your son go with them. They needed you as well." Future Trunks suggested her before he went back to the Z Fighters and tell them who and where Dr. Gero was and then plot to find the lab and destroy it before Dr. Gero can activate the other two Androids.

Bulma sighed. "I supposed I should. After all, Tenny is like a niece to me and I needed to find a way to get rid of the heart virus."

***

Just as they arrived home, Chichi demanded them what was happening and they explained what happened. Then Chichi was shocked to see her little girl had a heart virus, which made her sad. She was scared of losing her. Hachi and Kirara saw that which surprised them.

"Oh, my God! Tenny! My poor baby!" Chichi cried out, running up to her and hugging her tightly, sobbing.

"We need to get rid of the heart virus or else she'll die," Raditz said.

"How!? How are we gonna get rid of the heart virus!? Do you have heart medication!?" Chichi sobbed.

"It ran out. I'm sorry, Chichi." Raditz told his sister-in-law.

"No!" Chichi cried out, tears streaming down her face. She continued holding Tengoku tightly and crying.

Then Hachi came up to her and said, "Don't worry, Chichi. We will save her. There is only one way we can save her."

"Wh-Who will save her?" Chichi asked him.

He smiled at her. "Shippo."

"Shippo? You mean that demon fox that you and Tenny had told me about?" Goku asked.

"Of course, and we exactly know where Shippo lived. Come with me." Then the others went outside as Kirara transformed into a giant saber tooth cat and lead them to Shippo's place.

***

The Z Fighters then pursued Dr. Gero to his lab but arrived too late, as he has already activated his most recent yet unstable creations, the lethal siblings Android 17 and Android 18.

Future Trunks wanted to destroy them before they are activated, having already seen the damage that the two Androids' future counterparts have done in his timeline. However, much to his dismay, Vegeta said that he wanted to fight them, as they might be a good challenge to him. Dr. Gero knew of their inability to follow orders directly and had built an emergency Shut Down Remote to subdue the Androids whenever they became out of control. However, since the Androids are so powerful and wise, they easily snatch the remote from him.

They made their way to another one of Dr. Gero's creations and decided to unleash this incomplete monster going by the name Android 16. Dr. Gero was furious and yelled at them with increasing intensity to not activate Android 16, as its awakening might kill them all. Android 17 and Android 18 do not listen to him, and Android 17 betrayed and effortlessly killed Dr. Gero.

At this point, in his Super Saiyan form, Future Trunks snapped and launched a full-power Buster Cannon at the Androids, destroying the whole lab and the surrounding mountainside.

This does not faze them at all, and Android 17 and Android 18 then awaken Android 16, who stated that his main purpose is to kill Goku.