TERRAIN

- SAM

I sighed and looked at the sunscreen I'm holding. I really wanted to give this to Mon so she'll be protected from the heat of the sun but we were still not talking to each other since earlier.

It's 45 minutes past 5AM and we're already here in Sta Juliana where we're doing the registration. The helicopter ride was very silent because I was just looking outside. I was taken aback earlier when Monica suddenly let go of my hand after she noticed that Myers is looking at us. That's the very first time that I felt rejected by Mon and boy it was very painful.

Am I going to get more of these rejections later on?

"Hey Sam, we're all good. Let's have breakfast first?"

Before I got to the answer for that dumb question I gave myself, Jamie already saved me. She tapped my back. They probably felt my uneasiness during the ride earlier.

We decided to eat at a nearby carenderia and everyone was so loud while we were eating especially Chris and their friend Liam. They are very loud for a man, but it's good that they're here though, they make the vibe livelier. At least the jokes will not only come from Taylor and Jamie, I love them both but their energy can really be tiresome sometimes. Maybe because I really just can't keep up with them. I have a limited social battery.

My attention suddenly went to Myers who's sitting in front of me and tried to put bicol express on Mon's plate. I held his wrist to stop him halfway. Suddenly, the table went silent.

"I'm sorry Troy, Mon cannot eat spicy foods"

Myers looked at Mon who's sitting beside me and waited for her confirmation. He does not trust my words?

"It's true, Troy. I'm sorry I was not able to tell you about it, spicy foods make my stomach ache"

After that, I let go of the guy's hand and went back to eating as if nothing happened.

"Ikaw T, ayaw mo din ng spicy foods di ba? Kasi it reminds you of your ex?"

I heard Jamie tease T. I know they were just trying to lighten up the mood.

"Oh? Sino dun? The dumb one or the ugly one?"

I heard them laugh because of Nita's question.

"The bitch one"

They laughed harder because of Kate's answer.

"Ang sasama ng ugali niyo! I'll kick you out of my resort later!"

"Come on T, we all know your parents owned that"

"Fuck you Chris"

They just continued teasing T while we were eating. When I was done, I decided to scroll through my phone to check on important emails. I was tapping my left hand on my lap while reading, it's a habit that I always do when I feel uncomfortable.

And everytime I do it, there's always gonna be a hand that will hold mine to stop me. Today, that same hand did what it always does. I looked at Mon when I felt her hold my left hand. She gave me a small smile and gently shook her head, telling me to stop, so I did. Who am I to go against her? Even if she just made me feel a different kind of pain an hour ago?

You're dumb Veen. My mind whispered.

No, I am in love. My heart defended.

We did not stop staring at each other until Kate announced that we need to get going.

"Guys, we'll be riding an open-back 4x4 and it can only accommodate 4 people"

Jamie started when we gathered on the spot where the 4x4's were waiting for us. I looked up and noticed that the sun is almost up. It's October and it should be a rainy season but the weather today is really good. I guess it's Jamie's lucky day.