CHAPTER 23

Lan Wangji could not believe what had just happened. He couldn't believe a single thing.

"How was Wei Ying alive?" He asked himself repeatedly.

As much as he wanted Wei Wuxian to be alive, to be with him, to spend every single day and night with him, together and forever, right now, he just wished that Wei Wuxian was better dead.

Wei Wuxian was meant to be notorious, funny, silly, inventive and most of all kind. He was never meant to be revengeful and filled with hatred. "No, Impossible! This is not my Wei Ying. This is not my Wei Ying. THIS IS NOT MY WEI YING!"Lan Wangji screamed to himself but it was in vain. It was of no use. Because whatever he saw and heard was true. It was real.

Right then, Lan Wangji remembered what Wei Wuxian had said him earlier, "I am not the Wei Ying who was silly and blinded by love, I am the Yilling Patraich who will never ever again will be fooled by love!"

Tears welled up. Lan Wangji couldn't control himself. His heart felt so heavy. He just wished he had his mother or brother with him. They would understand him without Lan Wangji uttering a single word about it.

"How is Wei Ying alive?" Lan Wangji asked himself once again with tears flowing down his cheeks.

"Wei Ying, was that really you? Are you really back?" Lan Wangji placed his hand on his heart. It was beating!

Lan Wangji felt his lips curving up a little amidst the tears. And with a small smile he said, "You are really back!"

Lan Wangji had a mix of emotions. He did not know if he must be happy or sad with Wei Wuxian's arrival. As much as he wanted to be happy, he couldn't. He knew Wei Wuxian's arrival was not a small thing. Wei Wuxian was no more an ordinary cultivator. He was powerful. Powerful than anyone on earth.

It was when drops of rain fell on him that Lan Wangji came back to himself. He looked around him. He was still in the middle of nowhere, in a forest. His face and clothes felt damp from his tears. He tried to get up, but his legs felt numb. May be he had stayed too long, he thought to himself.

It was almost midnight when Lan Wangji made it to the nearest town. He needed a place to stay but he did not know if any inn would be available at the time of night. He was so tired and weary after the long day. With much difficulty, Lan Wangji dragged himself to find an inn and for his luck he indeed found one. Lan Wangji thanked the owner and when he was about to leave to his room, he saw jar of wines placed on the corner. He instantly remembered Wei Wuxian. He knew how much Wei Wuxian loved wine. Especially Gusu's Emperor's Smile. There was a sudden pang on Lan Wangji's heart just when thinking that his Wei Wuxian won't be the same anymore.

Lan Wangji ordered a jar of wine ad left for his room.

Lan Wangji sank down on the bed. He no longer was that Lan Wangji, Second Master of Lan who maintained his composure wherever he was and in whatever the situation he was. Now, he just looked like an ordinary cultivator with ragged clothes and no place to stay.

After some time, when he had finally freshened up, he opened the cap of wine jar. Lan Wangji was never a fan of wine but ever since the loss of Wei Wuxian, Lan Wangji has got used to it.

Lan Wangji took a small sip of wine for he did not want to get drunk in an unknown place but a little while later, there he was, drowning the whole bottle of wine just to sorrow down his feelings and emotions.

Although drinking did not help him feel better, at least, he was able to voice out his feelings.

"Wei Ying, my Wei Ying! You are back! You are.. back for real. Yet I.. I cannot celebrate it with you. I... I... I wronged you. I am so sorry. I am.. I am sorry for everything. Everything.... Wei Ying, I don't deserve your... forgiveness, but... but could you please come back to me? Come back to me Wei Ying, will you? I... I promise I will never wrong to you again in this lifetime, I promise you, but... will you believe my promise? Wei... Wei Ying, I... I love you. I love you more than anything. You are my world. You... you are my life. You are my soul. You.. You are my oxygen. You...."

Lan Wangji could no longer continue. He sobbed harder for he could do nothing else. His Wei Ying had come back but there is nothing he could do.

"Wei Ying, my love, I once made a pro..promise to you that I will be by your...your side forever. But.. But I fa...failed to fulfil it. Wei.. Wei Ying, I... I don't know if I... I am worthy enough to ask this but... but I want y...you. Will... will you come back to me? Please.... I beg you... Come back to me... This time, I swear I will... I will fulfill all the promises I made to you. Please.... Believe me this one la...last time. Please.... I want you by my side. Please..... I am lost wit...without you. Please.... Wei Ying....."

Lan Wangji kept on sobbing and begging to himself that he did not know when he fell asleep.

Once he had fallen into a deep slumber, a figure slowly emerged through the dark out of nowhere,

                   "Lan Wangji, it's too late."

××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

Hope you guys enjoyed the story. 

Do not forget to leave your comments and votes. Do let me know if this chapter was interesting as the previous ones. 

Make sure to stay tuned. 

Have a great day.