72. SHADOW OF THE PAST

WHAT IS HAPPENING?

For a minute you don't recognize the man standing in front of you. One minute he looks like the only person you know on earth, but the suit replacing the café's half-white apron and the neat taper cut swapping the long, luscious strands of hair makes him look like a strange new man. Your brain struggles to let the new, colossal information sink in.

You shake your head ruefully in disbelief.

His lips quiver trying to constrain the laugh bubbling in his throat. He looks at your face with an unfamiliar boyish smile, his eyes trailing over the surprise plastered all over your features.

"Surprised, huh?" the new Vice President and your old friend ask zealously.

"Ahh...umm... is this some kind of sick prank?" your voice wavers between disbelief and rage.

"Are you making fun of your Vice President Ms. Y/n?" His voice sounds deeper than you remember and resonant. But sarcasm runs through it like an invisible vine.

He leans towards you like a flower towards the sun and stares into your soul with his infamous poker face, the elite cologne pervades your nostrils. "Wake up, Y/n. You're not dreaming, I'm your new boss." His lips stretch in a smile revealing his pearly teeth. How uncharacteristic of him.

"But they said CEO's younger brother will...ohh..." your gaze drifts in his direction emitting a new ray of realization. With his lavish home, branded clothes, and sharp knowledge of other companies' CEOs and CFOs, every piece of the puzzle falls into its place. Not even in math class have you felt this dumb.

"Yup, Bang Hyuk-Shik is my brother. And yes, you were right. I was there that night; he was convincing me to join the company and disclose my identity as his brother. But it gradually elevated to a heated argument, and I barged out pushing him against the floor. My rage veiled my conscience and I failed to see the marble table beside him when I furiously shoved him to the floor and walked out without looking back. I still hate him as a brother, but I swear I didn't intend to cause any harm to him." The regret in his eyes might easily get mistaken for sadness if one doesn't know the real Joe.

"So, you've decided to..." You don't know how to ask the one thing that's boggling your mind, without making it sound offensive.

"Yeah, I've decided to accept his offer, as an apology." He says gravely.

"So, you're the new VP! Woah, congrats!" you lunge forward to embrace him, but then you suddenly remember his real identity and hesitation halts you. In reflex, you extend your hand to shake like one of those usual employees.

Familiar warmth spreads across your palm. You try to retract back after the formal shake, but he tugs your arm and engulfs you in a big hug, with a child's glee.

Timely Maaran enters the room. Something ripples beneath his features.

"I'm the new VP, who will make perfect Espressos whenever you crave one," Joe whispers into your hair and pulls back.

You formally introduce the new vice president of Bighit Labels to the CFO of Amuze Labels and you three decide to take a walk around the building, causing anyone crossing your path a mild arrhythmia.

-

You return to Jungkook's mansion around evening, alone. Jungkook and other members are attending a party hosted by a close friend of Taehyung. Since Sejin is going with the group, you squirm out of the plan stating that you have some plans with Maaran.

The luxury of using Joe's name to escape from parties has ceased to exist today.

Though it's been a while, the grandeur of this mansion still enchants you. You've met Jungkook's elder brother twice and yet to meet his father who is currently staying in Japan, he'll return to Korea once they successfully commence the new branch in Japan. Until then the liberty in the air is all yours.