Sriram returns

Akhila's POV

I went to the toy shop with Srihari this Sunday to get Sreeja a birthday gift. She was turning one. When we reached the toy shop, I realized I had left my card at home and had only enough cash to get Sreeja's gift. This meant I couldn't buy Srihari the toys he wanted. I guess he won't mind since we come here every week. He was quiet on our way home. After we reached home he refused to give the gift to Sreeja. He ran inside. He gets cranky like this frequently after Sharada, his sister was born. I think he got used to being the center of attention. Sadly, I couldn't go after him at that very instant, since I got an important call.

Pankaja's POV

I went to my room to get dressed for the event, and got an unpleasant surprise. Things were scattered on the floor and an upset Srihari was on the bed. Privacy is not a thing in this house. Krishnan won't agree to move out so I have to continue living like this. Srihari's parents have never considered disciplining him. Before I could say anything, Akhila entered the room, she too looked shocked at the mess. But instead of asking her son why he did such a thing she started consoling him saying something about a dumb gift. After he was a little cheerful, she told me she would get me a new sari after looking at how stained mine looked with watercolors.

"You can't fix all your son's mistakes this way. You should stop him from doing such things instead. What if he does something one day which you can't fix." I exclaimed. Then quickly realized how harsh it sounded. I was surprised she didn't give a retorting reply. She left carrying her son. Maybe it was because she was in a good mood. Living in a joint family was hard, it was harder when nobody respected each others privacy. I need some space for myself. Akhila behaves as if she is the sole head of the house. Sathya had never minded being bossed over, and she had got along well with Akhila over the years. I understand she is the first daughter in law and has assisted the family when they needed it the most, but we too should have equal rights in this house. Nobody even questions her decisions most of the time, even if it affects us. It is just that all this is impossible to explain without confrontation, and the last thing I want is create a fight, this early after marriage.

 2 years later

Krishnan's POV

I was talking to Sriram on the phone. He said "I miss you guys." I know he doesn't miss any of us, and just said that because he had to. I said the same thing, even though I didn't mean it as well. "You don't have to, I have quit college and will be coming home soon." he replied.

"Wait what?" I asked shocked. "Why would you-  When did you-- How could you do something like this." "You were the one who said you missed me." he said. "Come home this instant, I will deal with you then" I said and hung up the phone.

Sriram's POV

I had fully enjoyed pissing off Krishnan, that is exactly why I didn't tell him that I had got a spot in the state football team. Everyone was angry when I came home. Mainly Pankaja for some reason she, like Krishnan thought college was the most important thing in life, but she didn't say anything. After I told them the good news, they were sortta ok with my decision. That 'they' did not include Krishnan he seemed upset that I had come home. He kept saying a degree is necessary in life, dropping out in college will ruin my life, but have I ever listened to him? (No)

Another person who was unhappy with my return was Srihari, he was mainly mad because I hadn't got him anything. He cheekily told me "I have taken your room now, I think you will be comfortable in the kitchen or rather in Krishnan's room since that is where trash belongs. "Don't say such things about your uncle." Shiva stated, seeing Pankaja looked upset. Akhila cleared her throat then said "I have a great idea which will be best for all of us, Sriram can have his room back." 

Srihari started crying "Noooo it is not fair." "Wait I have not completed it." his mother stated as she continued. "Srihari can move to your parents' old room it is not in use anyway. We can give it a makeover." That was one of the biggest rooms in the house but nobody wanted to take away the room from a five year old (since it is Srihari), so they agreed. If I knew I had a chance to get that room, I would have never started the argument. The room changing took place soon. Though nobody understood now, I know I have taken the correct decision by dropping out of college.