Adithya

Pankaja's POV

We were finally able to bring Adithya home. Adithya had a very innocent look. He had small plump arms and rather curly hair.  I knew he belonged with us the day we visited the children's home for the first time. He has been in this home as long as he can remember. We met his biological mother as well. She has been putting her life together right now, she is a very young woman and had been through a lot of trauma and a child was the last thing she could have handled in life. She said even though she had visited him in the children's home many times, he was unaware that she was his mother. We were not sure who his father was, and we didn't want to ask. We were assured that Adithya could grow up as our son. Krishnan and I were happy to bring him to our life.

When we brought him home, we were happy as he was wholeheartedly accepted by the whole family. He too got on well with the family, especially with Srihari, he asked to accompany him whenever he took Gopi for a walk. He said he had always wanted a dog. He anticipated the evening walks the most and soon, he started idolizing Srihari. I don't think Srihari was the best role model for him, and one Srihari was enough for this world, but I didn't have a choice. When I told him to finish eating his food so that he will become strong, he said, "Ok, I want to become strong like Srihari, so that I can ride his big cycle as well."

Akhila's POV

When I was getting ready to go for work I saw Adithya meddling with my things. He looked amused seeing my gun and asked, "Can I play with your toy for a bit?" I told him sternly, "No, that is not a toy, go out and play something else." Krishnan came and said, "Why are yelling at a child when he didn't do anything? What is wrong with you?" he was imitating me. The situation was not funny, I told him what had happened. 

Then he took Adithya outside and explained why he should not be playing with guns and why he should not touch other people's things. He said this in his usual rude manner. That idiot doesn't know how to talk to kids. Adithya was a small boy and he is yet to get used to the family. Krishnan being strict is not going to help right now. I honestly thought he would have changed. He used to make Sriram and Vijaya rebel by behaving this way. Now I understand why Adithya is closer with Srihari than he is with him.

Srihari's POV

I saw Adithya asking the girls if he could join them and watch videos. They declined. They were watching Korean videos and were rating the K-POP idles. I didn't want Adithya to become some crazy 'army' person so I told him, "Let them talk about ugly boys, we will go there and talk about pretty girls." "Go talk about our criminal sister-in-law." Sreeja said, jokingly. "If my mom hears this she is going to burn you alive." I said. "Who is criminal sister-in-law? Is she pretty?" Adithya asked curiously. "Don't talk about these things." I said.

Narrator's POV

Adithya could not let go of his doubt, he found Gopal watching cricket match in the hall. He went to him and asked "Who is criminal sister-in-law?" At first, he couldn't understand what Adithya was talking about then he got a brief idea and said, "Criminal is somebody who is in jail and sister-in-law is someone, who is married to your brother." "So, you are saying, Srihari is going to marry a criminal." Adithya stated. "No, I didn't say that." Gopal said quickly. "It is ok I won't tell anybody." he assured. In a few minutes he went and asked Akhila which criminal, Srihari was going to marry, "They were saying she was pretty." he explained. Akhila said, "No, he is not going to marry a criminal. Who is teaching you such bad things?" she asked angrily. "Everybody is saying that. Where is criminal sister-in-law? Is Srihari going to marry her?" Adithya asked again. "No, she is not your sister-in-law, and I don't know where she is." Akhila said. "Are you going to find her? Are you keeping that gun to shoot her?" Adithya kept asking questions. "Yes, that is why I am having this gun." Akhila said trying to end the conversation.

"Can I also get a gun like that?" Adithya asked. "I will help you find criminal sister-in-law." "Ok, you help me find her, then we will see." she said as she knew, that Pallavi was out of their lives now anyway. Adithya soon started obsessing over guns, he asked Srihari to show him videos. Srihari showed him his video games, when nobody was around. Once, while Krishnan was watching news, there was a news about a school shooting from the other side of the world. 

When he heard the word shooting Adithya went and asked Srihari what 'School Shooting' was. Not wanting to explain, he said he did not know. After five days, realizing Adithya was not going to let it go. Srihari said, "Go, ask my mother, she will know." seeing that his mother was leaving for work. In front of Mahesh and a couple of others Adithya asked Akhila "What is school shooting? Can I do it? because I like school and I like shooting." Mahesh started laughing. Akhila told Adithya, "Don't ask such violent questions, we can talk about things not involving shooting or guns. Maybe cars?" she suggested. Adithya looked confused and left deciding guns were way more interesting than cars.