Fights

Shiva's POV

Akhila told me that she is going to get a promotion soon, she said, she was most probably going to get a posting somewhere in Maharashtra and that we had to move to a place quite far away. She had seemed to have planned everything, she was looking for schools and also a dance training center for Sharada in that place. She came and told me, "We should move there for a while, I can't let go of this promotion I have been anticipating it for a while. Anyway it is settled, they will arrange housing and everything." "Don't you think, you should have told me this earlier?" I asked quite shocked. You have planned everything before hand, what am I supposed to do now."  

"So, you are not coming? My career matters to me, I can't leave this just because you don't want to move out." she said. "Well, I can't search for a job there all of a sudden." I said. "Well, we will move there right now and you can take your time to find a job. This is the best idea." she said. "I cannot leave this job without finding another one." I reasoned. "Ok, then you stay here until you get a job and join us there later." she said. "Do you see, what all this is doing to our marriage?" I asked. "Why are you dragging our marriage into this. Don't talk in such a sentimental manner. I see no problem, I have made my decision, Sharada and I are going there after this summer. I am trying to convince Srihari to find a college nearby, even though he is too stubborn on joining MIT Trichy. You need to make yours." She left before I could stop her. Why is she overreacting and acting like I am at fault? She was the one who hid her first engagement all these years. She was the one who wants to move to a new city all of a sudden. I don't see any fault in my side.

Akhila's POV

I was sitting in my room, thinking about the argument I had with Shiva. He had behaved like this for the past month or so. I heard footsteps and saw it was Anitha, "Can I talk to you for a moment?" she asked in a nervous voice. "Yeah" I replied without turning around, she came inside and asked me, "I just wanted to know, why I got the smallest room in this house? I feel that it would be fair if we switched rooms with Srihari. He is the only one in his room, while Sriram and I have to share. Anyways he is planning to go to a college that is 3 hours from here, right? His room will be empty for most of the time. We can put it to better use this way." Why was she blabbering?

"Well the room arrangements have been like this for many years. You came just now and are asking for a change. Who has been longer in this house, you or Srihari? Why can't you adjust? why are you getting so worked up over rooms anyway?" I asked irritated. "It is not only about rooms, the thing is nobody is respecting my husband. You guys are treating him as if he is still a kid or something. We deserve to be treated equally in this house." she said. It sounded like she was campaigning for some human rights commission. She was purposely making me more irritated. "Look here Anitha, Even Pankaja and Sathya who have been here for a long time had not asked me questions like this. This is how this family works." I said, trying not to lose my temper.

Anitha's POV

Akhila was just lashing out at me. She didn't even allow me to reason she was talking as if I have made a decision to break their family or something. "It is just that I don't feel welcomed here." I said building up my courage. "What are we supposed to do? sing praises of you or something. Did you actually expect us to pamper you all day? I can't believe you are complaining about the rooms. Your whole house was the size of Srihari's room. Now you are talking as if you were born with a silver spoon. Can't you ever be satisfied?" she yelled. I was deeply hurt by this comment. Asking for a fair treatment was a sin. I couldn't control my tears. I ran outside and sat in the hall covering my face. I couldn't help feeling I was being treated this way only because I was from a poor family.

Sathya's POV

I was tired. I used to enjoy my job, but recently as the principal had changed, all the school rules have as well. We had to ask for approval for everything and we had no rights as teachers. The job became quite hectic. She is having it against our family after the Sreeja incident. She says we don't deserve our jobs, and that our whole family is just a perfect example of nepotism. I was planning to change my job and was looking for opportunities else were and so was Gopal. He too feels the same way.

I saw Anitha sitting alone in the hall, her eyes looked red, it looked as if she had been crying. Maybe, she was homesick or something, she said she hadn't lived anywhere except her house all her life. I had made juice for the children and offered her some as well. "I am not a child, I will be happy if everyone understood that." she said. "Hey why are you getting tensed, things are going to be ok." I said putting my hand on her shoulder. She began to cry again and said that Akhila yelled at her just because she asked for a fair treatment.

 "Sriram won't understand anything I say. Akhila was talking as if I don't belong here or something. I asked her for a bigger room she declined my request in the rudest way possible." Anitha said wiping her tears. "Well she may not have meant that. You shouldn't have asked for Srihari's room this way. She may have thought you were trying to dominate. Obviously I know that was not your intentions. Well, she talks to everybody like this. She is not a bad person at heart." I said trying to console Anitha.

"No, she just dislikes me and looks down on me just because I work as a constable, she is too proud because she is a D.I.G. She was also saying things about my family being poor." she said still crying. I felt bad for her even though she has brought this upon herself. "Don't worry, things will be fine. We all like you." I explained. Maybe she was just a very sensitive person. I was sure she will soon get used to all this.