A Broken Heart

Narrator's POV

Akhila wanted to contact Pallavi's mother, unfortunately none of the parents she knew had her number. So, when she was called to the parents teachers meeting she happily agreed as all the parents will be there at the meeting.

There she saw Pallavi's step mother. She went towards her and said, "You are Pallavi's mother right?" without giving her a moment to answer Akhila continued "Your daughter is always troubling my son, she is looking for a boyfriend at this age. Teach your daughter how to behave and ask her to focus on her studies instead of my son, or else she will end up like her father." Kayal interrupted, "First of all why are you telling me all this, I am not her mother, did I give birth to her? For gods sake, do not talk about matters relating to her with me." 

Pallavi ran to the nearest bathroom as tears filled her eyes. Her stepmother had established very well that she was not her mother and that she did not care about her, but Pallavi could not help yearning for her love and care as she was the only family Pallavi had. Pallavi seeking comfort, called Srihari, the only person who liked talking with her. She was terribly hurt when Srihari said he wanted to break up. She did not want to lose Srihari the same way she lost her father, she decided  to go to his house and meet him. She walked out of the school. Pallavi had no idea why Srihari was suggesting that they break up. 'It was as if we were in love' she told herself. She thought of the first time they shook hands. She thought of that moment again. Holding his hand and looking into his eyes. How she wished it lasted forever.

Shiva who had to meet many parents that day, later told Akhila "I feel bad to tell such things about my own son, but now is my only chance, as I know you can't yell at me in public. Srihari is starting some sort of cult where he encourages people not to study, as he can get good marks without spending much time studying. Those idiots followed this as well. In the end thirteen people failed in the class. There are only 20 students in my class. The principal had warned me about that already." "If those people are failing you should be blaming their parents not me." Akhila said bluntly.  "Anyway I am going home." Shiva said. "I have to go to the station immediately, Mahesh called me and said there is some emergency. You carry on." Akhila said.

A few minutes after Shiva reached home, Pallavi arrived at their place. She looked really upset, and begged Shiva to let her in, "I just want to see Srihari once." she begged as their summer holidays were starting the next day. Pallavi went to talk to Srihari. Srihari explained why they have to break up. "It is affecting your life more than mine." he said. Then the doorbell rang, and this time Sriram opened, Akhila said that the matter at the police station was not much of importance, and she noticed Pallavi's slippers outside. "Is the criminal girl in my house?" she yelled.

Shiva came and asked Akhila to calm down, he said "The girl was very upset and only wanted to talk to our son for a minute." "What the hell!  Are you asking me to calm down? what is wrong with you? why are you being irresponsible? Unlike you I don't want a criminal daughter in law." she said "By the way you left her alone with Srihari?" Sriram came and said. "Chill they are in the kitchen why are you thinking like this about your own son?" "Kitchen? where the knives are? What if she murders my son?" Saying this Akhila ran into the kitchen.

"How dare you come to my house?" Akhila said. Mahesh who had drove her home was still outside, she turned to him and said, "Drag this girl home." Mahesh was about to obey the order when Srihari stopped him and said, "Don't you know the law properly? and you work in the police department. A female constable is supposed to accompany a girl." Akhila stopped Srihari and said, "I trust Mahesh, it is ok." Srihari replied to this "The law makes no exceptions, you were the one who told me this. Right mom?" Akhila had no other option she called a constable and asked her to take this girl home.

When Anitha the constable arrived, Sriram was immediately attracted to her. Anitha was a rather plain looking lady. She had a small figure, tan skin and sharp features. "What is your name." he asked. "C.P. Anitha." she said. Akhila asked Sriram to go inside and asked Anitha to leave with Pallavi.  

When Anitha dropped Pallavi at her house she said, "These relationships won't last forever, and you should focus on yourself and your studies instead. Akhila madam will never be ok with you dating her son." "This is true love, nobody can break it, if I cannot have a life with Srihari I would rather die. Srihari was the one who bought happiness in my life, I can't feel the same way about anyone else." Pallavi reasoned. Anitha was too stunned to speak. She left. On the inside she felt really bad for Pallavi, she herself was from a poor background and got barely any attention from her parents. Not because they were ignorant but because she was the oldest of five siblings, and her parents had to work double shifts to maintain a roof over their head.

Meanwhile, Srihari told Akhila that he had ended things with Pallavi, he told her that he cannot feel the same way with any other girl. He also added though he likes Pallavi a lot he loved his mother more, and did not like the impact it had on their relationship. Akhila was too happy hearing this. She was sure Srihari will meet better girls in his life. She was in a very good mood the next day.