A Sudden Departure

• Serena Black •

• Serena Black •

"People find it far easier
to forgive others for being wrong
than being right."

It was a bloody warm summer's day when Serena stood at the window of her room in the three-room flat she shared with her mother in the early afternoon. The immaculate blue sky opened up like a stuffy dome in front of her, while the air seemed to almost stand still.

She had been looking outside a lot lately, and she didn't even know why. Although so much seemed to have changed in the last few weeks, the view from her window was still the same and nothing unusual seemed to be going on in the front garden. If Serena was honest, she herself didn't know what to expect after You-Know-Who had returned. But the calm before the storm was beginning to make her nervous, it just all seemed so normal.

The sun was shining, there wasn't a cloud in the sky and numerous children were laughing and frolicking in the playground outside her window, it had been like that for days. Not once had it rained in England in the last few weeks and the only thing that seemed threatening was the gradual drought. It was as if the world did not want to admit to itself that one of the most feared wizards had risen again. This opinion was probably shared by the Ministry of Magic, which had not believed a single word Harry or Dumbledore had said.

Sighing, Serena turned away from the window and began to pack the rest of her things, as her father or Remus would be arriving shortly to pick her up. Half of the holidays were over and even though she had spent wonderful holidays with her mother in Fuerteventura, she missed her friends, her second family and also Hogwarts. It was strange for her, as it was every year, to be isolated for so long from the magical world that had become her home.

The only thing that had connected her to this world in the last few weeks were the occasional letters, which she just smiled at and let disappear in her drawer. She never threw away even one of the letters, a possibly rather annoying habit when she considered that she would eventually run out of space.

She hadn't heard from a certain Slytherin since the last day of school. Which was good, because Edmund Hall seemed to be the human version of migraine. Serena hadn't expected anything else anyway, the blond didn't seem to be the type for an apology or explanation after all. There wasn't even anything to apologise for, it wasn't unusual for someone to choose the path of their family. Even if it didn't seem right to someone else.

Serena quickly zipped up her suitcase and, with one last glance at her room, heaved it into the hallway. She didn't look in any of the other rooms, but had already opened the front door with a loud "I'm going out for a minute!" and raced down the stairwell before her mother could give a reply.

Once across the street and a few houses down, the Gryffindor stopped and pressed the bell marked Novak.

A smile spread across the face of the blonde petite woman who finally opened the door at the sight of her. "Hello Serena, how nice to see you again!" she exclaimed in her high-pitched voice delightedly, allowing the dark-haired girl to enter the sparsely lit hallway. "Why don't you go upstairs, Nathan is in his room."