New friends or old enemies?

• Serena Black •

• Serena Black •

„Do I not destroy my enemies
when I make them my friends?"

On the first day of December, Serena couldn't wait to open her eyes for once. She could already see through her closed eyes that the sun was shining into the room and colouring it orange.

Tired, she sat up and rubbed the sleep from her eyes. As soon as she did, she was pulled into a hug and all she saw was a mass of bushy brown hair, "Happy birthday, Serena!"

"Thank you Hermione!" beamed Serena and her eyes fell to the foot of her bed where some presents were already lying. Curious, she pounced on them and began to open them one by one. Her favourite present was the one from Remus and her father; all the books on self-defence and other useful spells.

In the end, all that was left was a fancy little black box that Serena had no idea who would give her something like that. She carefully stroked the dark velvet and finally opened the silver clasp of the box. She paused for a moment, puzzled, and took a closer look at the clasp with the raven on it. "Isn't that...?"

Hermione had also leant over Serena's shoulder curiously. "Is that the coat of arms of the Halls?"

"Yes, but why would he give me something?" Serena said, opening the box suspiciously. Surprised to actually find something useful inside, she stared at the really beautiful silver chain with a purple stone in it. There was also a small note pinned to the top inside of the box:

Happy Birthday, Serena.

The most appropriate term to describe Serena's expression at that moment was probably surprised. "It's really nice of him, but I don't understand why?" she asked herself aloud, lowering her voice at the same time so that the other girls in the dormitory wouldn't notice. Serena gently stroked the setting containing the pea-sized gemstone and finally lifted the piece of jewellery out of the box. She drew in a sharp breath as it suddenly dawned on her. It was the necklace she had wanted to buy at the World Cup!

Hermione shrugged her shoulders and looked equally perplexed, "Just ask him."

"Yes, then I can give it right back to him," Serena said resolutely, closing the box with the necklace and putting it in her pocket. After all, she knew exactly how expensive it had been. Maybe it would just turn out to be a stupid prank and the necklace had a few side effects that she would rather not experience for herself. She wouldn't put it past him...

In the common room, Serena was already expected by two rather overzealous twins who handed her a box with a grin. "It's just a small prototype," George explained and grinned all the wider when a few of the surrounding students turned to them curiously.