How to be a Prefect

• Serena Black •

• Serena Black •

"When people don't believe in you,
you have to believe in yourself"

With a loud hiss, the Hogwarts Express departed from platform 9 3/4. Serena strolled through one of the carriages, looking for Ron, whom she had lost when she had greeted Nate. Being a Prefect with Ron. In her head, she pictured any situations she might have to face: from first graders flooding the bathroom to seventh graders setting curtains on fire. Did she have to punish them all? Lost in thought, she peered into the various compartments and made out a few friends among the numerous students.

Then she spotted a Firebolt that resembled hers leaning against a compartment door and knew immediately; it undoubtedly belonged to Harry.

The compartment door squeaked a little as Serena pushed it open. Ron had made himself comfortable next to Harry and was in the process of decapitating a chocolate frog with his bare teeth. Hermione, meanwhile, was talking to Neville and another girl, who Serena knew from Nate and that her name was Luna, was sitting in the compartment reading a strange looking magazine.

Serena cleared her throat. "Ron, we need to get to the Prefects' compartment." She didn't miss the disgruntled expression that settled over his face like a shadow. To be honest, she didn't feel much like it either and would rather sit with her friends, but since no one probably trusted her to hold the office anyway, she should at least show that she was making an effort.

Somewhat reluctantly, the redhead stuffed the rest of the chocolate into her mouth and also seemed to have noticed Harry's disappointed expression. "We certainly don't have to stay there for the whole train ride," he mumbled and stumbled into the corridor behind Serena.

"All right," Harry muttered, a little disgruntled. "I'll see you later, maybe."

Serena closed the door behind her with a squeak and pushed her way through the carriages with Ron. "Stinks I have to go there," he complained.

"They should have just given the badges to Harry and Hermione," Serena sighed, carefully smoothing down the skirt of her school uniform, on which the first dust had already settled. Nervously, she checked the fit of her ponytail and played around with the end of her tie. She couldn't help but wonder what the others would think if they saw her instead of Hermione.

"I wonder who the others are," Ron murmured, lost in thought.

"I guess we're about to find out," Serena said as they pushed their way through a group of nervous first-year students. Arriving at the front of the train, they found the compartment at the drop of a hat, for already in the corridor they could hear the all too familiar crooning voice. Malfoy.