True friends

• Astoria Greengrass •

"We know what we are,
but know not what we may be."

Astoria Greengrass sat in her favourite place in the Slytherin common room with a book in her hand. The first rays of sunlight of the day broke through the surface of the black lake, bathing everything in the room in a shimmering green light. Eerie and yet beautiful, she had been enchanted by it from day one. Even though she would much rather have ended up in a different house. 

She had always been an early riser, which is why she had made it a kind of tradition to read for a while before breakfast. She would have been one of the only ones at the table anyway, so she preferred to disappear into the morning rush.

As the common room filled rather leisurely on Saturday morning, the Slytherin let her shoulder-length light brown hair hang over her face like a curtain. An unnecessary habit, really, as no one paid any attention to her anyway, but it made her feel a lot more comfortable.

Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Daphne marching into the common room with two of her friends, giving her a brief look of disdain before they all disappeared into the dim corridor. Astoria sighed, it wasn't right for someone as popular as Daphne to have a sister like her. The girl who simply didn't belong.

She could almost no longer concentrate on what she was writing in her book because the noise had swelled and she had the feeling that she was being looked at askance from all sides. She looked up scrutinisingly, as if she had clearly felt a gaze on the back of her head that had made the fine hairs on the back of her neck stand up.

Unobtrusively, Astoria glanced over her shoulder and saw a pair of grey eyes resting on her. Draco Malfoy.

She promptly pretended to just look around the room before sticking her nose deep into her book again. This time, however, her cheeks reddened. Although Draco had never been abusive or insulting towards her, they didn't have a friendly relationship either. They only said a word to each other when they had to and that had never been very often. She was all the more surprised that he had looked at her so directly without making a face or turning to his friends in a blasphemous manner. Just like most Slytherins did.

Sighing, Astoria glanced at her wristwatch and finally closed her book in a hurry. Draco had probably distracted her so much that she had almost forgotten to go downstairs in time. Otherwise, she wouldn't have enough time to eat a hearty breakfast before the next DA meeting. And she had been particularly fond of this lesson from the very beginning: the Patronus.

A smile crept onto her pale pink lips at the thought of her study group as she left the dark dungeon and could already make out the light of the entrance hall at the other end of the stairs. Even though the beginning had been difficult, she had finally made friends and had become a welcome member of her classmates' ranks.