𝑷𝒓𝒐𝒍𝒐𝒈𝒖𝒆

• Prologue •

• Prologue •

"I've learned that some things
are best kept secret."

21st December 1971
It had been difficult for Sirius to leave his new home, Hogwarts, after spending the first half of his first year there. Even if it would only be for a few weeks. If he was honest, he had even been quite sceptical about the school at first and had been sure that it would be even more disciplined and strict than at his home.

But in fact the opposite had happened, he had found true friends. To his satisfaction, even ones that his fanatical parents would never tolerate. If they learned that his best friend was a Potter, one of the blood traitors par excellence in their eyes, they would perhaps realise that Sirius would never be what they wanted him to be and that he had already broken away from his family's views.

A small smile appeared on his face at the thought of the troublemaking bespectacled boy. It intensified even more when he thought of what would happen if their cunning plan actually worked.

Almost all the first years had gone home for the Christmas holidays, as Sirius had, but he had heard that a large proportion of the older students had stayed in the castle. If this was an option, then he would not hesitate to do the same in the future. Preferably, the young Black would not return to his family mansion at all. His parents probably wouldn't care anyway, especially after this evening.

Concentrated and yet attentive to the noises in the house, Sirius was currently in the study trying to mix together the necessary ingredients he had stolen from his father's stash. If he succeeded, there would be a small but sufficiently powerful explosion that would make all his father's objects and artefacts smell like frogspawn forever.

The idea had come from James, who had supposedly already tested this. Even Remus, after much persuasion, had also agreed to help with the planning so that their scheme would actually work. He simply understood much more about such things.

Just as Sirius was about to add the last necessary quote to his mixture, he suddenly heard approaching footsteps in the hallway. Since neither he, nor Regulus, nor anyone else was allowed to enter the study, the Gryffindor hurriedly grabbed the half-finished dark green bubbling concoction and hid behind the long red curtains. It might not have been the most suitable hiding place for a real marauder, as they called themselves, but he hadn't been able to find anything better in such a short time. Maybe he should have thought about that in advance...

Sure enough, a few moments later the heavy and loudly creaking door was opened. Unconsciously, Sirius held his breath and prayed that no one would discover him or get the idea to vent.

"May I offer you something to drink?" he could hear his mother ask in the nicest and most inauthentic tone he ever heard on her.

"No thanks, I'd actually like to get this over with as soon as possible," another female voice replied as coldly as Sirius usually knew his mother. Holding his breath, he watched as the shadow of a tall slender woman slipped in front of the curtain he was hiding behind.

"But of course, I'm just so glad it finally worked out," Walburga Black replied, still cajoling, appearing almost ecstatic about the visit. "It was a great pleasure for us that you chose our family for this venture, Kasia."

"Well, we just can't take the risk of another family turning away. Especially one with your pedigree," the woman standing directly in front of Sirius said cuttingly. His mother didn't seem to know whether she should take what she said as a compliment or rather as an insult. She gasped indignantly, "I can assure you that this will not happen under any circumstances!"

"Good, because maybe this is exactly the connection we've been working towards for decades," Kasia remarked and now began to pace the room impatiently. Breathing a sigh of relief, Sirius tried under no circumstances to make any sudden movement that would give away his whereabouts.

"Who will be the witness?" the strange woman finally asked, seeming to stop again as the sound of heels on the expensive floor abruptly died away.

"My husband, he will arrive here shortly."

It didn't seem long, but to Sirius that time felt like an eternity until his father finally entered the room with heavy steps. He felt the trembling on the dark parquet floor with each step, while he bit his lower lip firmly so as not to make a sound.

Sirius tried to think of Hogwarts, of his friends, something far removed from the dark machinations and spells being performed just a few feet away from him. As curious as he was, he wanted to be involved in something like that as little as possible, which was why he barely listened to the black magic curses his father was uttering.

Only the glaring red light, which almost hurt his eyes, would remain in the twelve yesr old's memory. Just like the promise to himself never to have children of his own.