Sweets, the best way to make friends

• Serena Black •

• Serena Black •

"But friendship is the breathing rose,
with sweets in every fold."

Serena managed a slight smile after all, even though she was far from forgiving the Slytherin for what he had done. A little embarrassed, she took a step backwards and cleared her throat. Even though she dodged her eyes over the lake and her celebrating classmates, she could still feel Hall's gaze on her. Deep and unfathomable.

"Are you okay?" someone asked a few seconds later, addressing Serena. That someone turned out to be Maxon. He didn't wait for an answer from her, however, but stared angrily at Hall, "Why are you kissing my girlfriend?"

Hall buried his hands in the pockets of his wet trousers and finally averted his eyes. "Maybe you should just take better care of your girlfriend," he replied bluntly. Serena rolled her eyes and stepped to her friend's side. She put her hand on his forearm to appease him, she wanted to explain it to him calmly, but Maxon seemed to want to fight it out now.

"I trust Serena," he returned unimpressed and scrutinised his counterpart from top to bottom. "But I don't trust you."

"And that with my trustworthy demeanour," Hall replied mockingly, his lips curled into a contemptuous smile. Serena felt Maxon's muscles tense and she couldn't even blame him. After all, Hall got them on edge often enough. She put a hand on his back to placate him and looked up at him, shaking her head. The blonde was definitely not worth another argument, especially as that seemed to be exactly what he was after.

Maxon returned her gaze and the brownish speckles in his sea-blue eyes looked like angry sparks at that moment. It was the first time Serena had ever seen him so upset. They looked into each other's eyes wordlessly for a while as she pleaded with him to just ignore the annoying Slytherin. She only noticed out of the corner of her eye how Hall finally turned away with a disgusted look on his face and stalked back to the group.

"Shall I take you back?" Maxon finally asked, looking at her with concern. She could almost see him exhale with relief.

"You don't have to," Serena declined the offer and smiled slightly. She knew that her friend would like to stay, after all, he hadn't made too many connections with his schoolmates yet. Besides, she was sure that the feared storm had passed now that Hall had let off steam. "I'd like to stay a little longer."

"Are you sure?" he asked in surprise, looking at her sceptically.

She nodded; if she left now, everyone would think she couldn't handle a joke. Lashing out but not being able to take it. Determined, Serena took her boyfriend's hand and led him to the spot by the lake where they had been playing truth or dare.