The lion's den

• Serena Black •

• Serena Black •

"It's a little late to be waving a white flag,
don't you think?"

The thoughts of the previous evening had kept Serena awake for far too long and she felt the same way the next morning. She would have preferred to skip the entire day and stay in bed. She didn't know herself what had finally led her to go to breakfast. It was far too noisy and hectic for her taste. Grumbling, she finally settled down next to Ginny, although she toyed with the idea of just going back to bed.

"What got your wand knotted?" she asked with a laugh, earning a scowl from Serena in return. "Couldn't sleep," she mumbled, loading her plate with scrambled eggs. Before she started to shove the first bite into her mouth, she cautiously looked up at Umbridge, who was already staring at her grimly. Serena quickly looked away again and shovelled her breakfast into her mouth until she was interrupted again.

"Black, it's your turn," Hall said from behind her and was eyed suspiciously by the Gryffindors as he was every time he stood there. Serena shuddered violently, having actually thought of him at that moment. Well, maybe not of him directly, but rather of her father's supposed secret.

Hall didn't wait for an answer, but put the infantem on the table next to her plate. Serena couldn't help but watch him surreptitiously from the side. What could it be about him or the Halls that was so important that she couldn't know? Especially since it also seemed to be about her.

Unfortunately, he seemed to have noticed her stare and looked at her disconcertedly. "Have you finally noticed my beauty or why are you staring at me like that?"

To make matters worse, Serena turned bright red, and quickly turned away. Hall was still staring at her as if thunderstruck, "Are you not going to talk to me now, or what?"

"Yes I am."

"You're being weird, Black," he finally said and sighed, "Are you coming?"

"You've been weird ever since the school year started," Serena muttered morosely, scraping the last crumbs of egg off her plate.

"Well, everyone has their reasons," Hall returned dryly, looking at her impatiently. "Are you coming or not?"

Grumbling, she pushed her chair back, grabbed her project, which seemed to be getting greyer, and followed the Slytherin outside. Actually, she had little desire to go to care of magical creatures, as she really didn't want Professor Grubbly-Plank to see her infantem in this state. She would probably take it away from them immediately and put it in the Infantem Protection Programme or something similar.