A Night in the Dungeons

• Serena Black •

• Serena Black •

„The truth." Dumbledore sighed. "It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution."

Serena and Edmund Hall followed Snape down the dark corridor in the dungeon, scowling at each other. However, neither dared to utter a word and say what their gazes were meant to say to each other: This is all your fault.

At one of the rooms, Snape suddenly stopped and a nasty smirk formed on his face. He opened the creaky wooden door, which had a barred window on it, making it very much like the old-fashioned dungeons from Muggle films. "After you," he said in an oily voice, holding the door open for them.

Somewhat confused, Serena entered the dark room first, not having the faintest clue what they were doing here. Hall had followed her closely, with his hands in his pockets, staring at the wall in one of the corners for some reason.

Snape stepped into the room after them and conjured up two sleeping bags. Serena stared at him incredulously, suspecting evil. Hall didn't seem particularly thrilled with the makeshift living situation they were likely to face either. "Professor, this is a misunderstanding!" he affirmed forcefully. "Black is responsible for the infantem, not me!"

Serena snorted and shook her head contemptuously. But Snape seemed to see it similarly. Well, in for a penny, in for a pound.

The Potions teacher raised an eyebrow. "A moment ago you said that you were both responsible for your so-called project."

"We have an agreement. Black is today..." he tried to explain matter-of-factly, but Snape promptly interrupted him, "That's not my problem. The main thing is that I don't have to hear you or this thing again."

The two students fell silent and Snape turned to leave. However, not before, with a flick of his wand, he illuminated the few torches that now dimly lit the room. Mere seconds later, the door slammed shut. Serena knew that there was probably no point in rattling the door or trying any spells anyway. Sighing, she settled down on one of the sleeping bags and finally put down the infantem, which had already begun to fidget unhappily.

"It's two nights you owe me now, Black," Hall clamoured, walking over to the wall he had been staring at so sourly earlier. Serena watched him, her eyes twisting. He was probably looking for a place to sleep as far away from her as possible - or else an escape tunnel. The latter did not seem to have been such a wrong idea, because Hall now began to rattle the stones of the façade.

Serena began to shake her head inwardly. Did he really dislike her so much that he was now tearing the entire castle apart? To her surprise, however, a small opening did appear. However, only rats could probably escape from it.